17. Final catch-up

It was Monday morning, and Manya woke up from a restless sleep to the sound of a notification on her phone. Groggily, she reached for it and saw a message from Nam Joon: "Your car is home. Keys in the engine. Waiting for your call." She immediately got out of bed and went to check. Sure enough, her car, which she had left at the office on Friday, was parked in front of her house. She grabbed the keys and went back to her room, replying, "Thanks and Good morning."

Nam Joon quickly responded, "Have a great day." The message warmed her heart.

Over the next two weeks, they exchanged texts and phone calls, just to check in and say good night or good morning. Their conversations filled with a cautious intimacy, careful not to cross any lines.

On Thursday, while Manya was at the office, Nam Joon called. "Could you keep this weekend free? Can we go on a trip?" he asked. She hesitated.

"Next week onwards, we start our overseas tour. I'll be swamped with work, practice, and concerts. I might not be able to text or call you," he explained. "I just want to spend some good time together before I leave the country."

Manya felt a surge of longing and agreed.

Saturday morning, they landed in Laos and made their way to Kuang Si Falls. Manya asked, "Why this place?"

"I wanted to go somewhere during the day where we'd be less noticeable," Namjoon explained. "This country is less crowded and has beautiful landscapes. We can wander around and explore without attracting too much attention."

They checked into their hotel and then set off to visit Kuang Si Falls. The cascading turquoise waters were a breathtaking sight. They spent the day exploring the various tiers of the falls, dipping their feet in the cool, clear pools, and taking in the natural beauty around them.

As they wandered, Manya saw another side of Namjoon. He was playful and childlike, chasing after crabs and fish with an animated, excited expression. She was mesmerized by his joy, a side of him she hadn't seen before. His laughter was infectious, and she found herself laughing with him, feeling the weight of her worries lift momentarily.