XII

The Black Tide

✦❘༻༺❘✦

............................................................................

The morning air was thick with an unsettling calm, the kind that made the skin prickle and the mind race with unwelcome thoughts. I awoke with a startle, unable to shake that something terrible was on the horizon.

As I left my chambers and made my way through the dimly lit halls of Driftmark, the sense of foreboding lessened. My thoughts, however, remained in a daze.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice Aemond until he stepped out from around a corner, nearly colliding with me.

He smirked, his gaze gleaming in a mischievous light. "Careful, Lenora," he drawled, his tone mocking. "You might want to watch where you're going. The halls of Driftmark can be treacherous."

I narrowed my eyes at him, unwilling to let him see how much he'd unnerved me.

"Aemond," I greeted coolly, "You've arisen early."

He tilted his head, his smirk deepening as he studied me. "Just to enjoy the scenery," he said, though his tone made it clear he was anything but.

"Though I must admit, Driftmark isn't exactly to my taste. Too much salt in the air. And the ocean... I've always found it unsettling. So unpredictable, don't you think?"

I shrugged, unwilling to engage in whatever game he was playing today. "The ocean has its own beauty. Perhaps you simply don't appreciate it."

Aemond scoffed, leaning in slightly as if to share a secret. "Beauty? It's nothing more than a graveyard waiting to happen. Give me the solid ground of King's Landing any day. I can't wait to leave this wretched place."

I met his gaze, trying to decipher the intent behind his words, but his expression gave nothing away. There was a tension between us since the ceremony, perhaps I hadn't concealed my true emotions well enough.

"Well," I said, forcing myself to speak with confidence, "perhaps your return to King's Landing will come sooner than you expect."

Aemond's smirk faded slightly, replaced by a look of mild curiosity. "Is that so?"

I didn't answer, merely giving him a pointed look before stepping around him and continuing down the hall. I could feel his gaze on my back as I walked away, but I refused to turn around. Whatever game Aemond was playing, I had no interest in being a part of it.

✦❘༻༺❘✦

By the time I reached the courtyard, it was filled with the crashing of waves and clatter of swords. I sat with Jacaerys, overlooking it all. My thoughts drifted to the happenings of last night as Jace regaled me with tales of his recent findings. Feigning that I was listening, I nodded and looked over to Lucerys, watching him train with a well-admired Driftmark guard.

It was a rare moment of peace, a brief respite from the ever-present weight that seemed to hang over all of us lately. I cherished these moments, where the burdens of the realm and the growing tensions between the houses seemed to fade into the background.

Just then, a scream pierced the air.

The sound was distant at first, almost as if it had come from the wind itself, but as it grew louder and more desperate, my heart sank. I knew that voice. I knew it like I knew my own heartbeat.

Rhaenyra.

The blood drained from my face as I turned toward the source of the sound. Without hesitation, I followed in that direction. My pace was quick in the maze that became Driftmark. Jacaerys crossed the yard to get Luke, their voices lost behind me.