VII

A Darkened Day

✦❘༻༺❘✦

............................................................................

The walk back to my bedchamber was excruciatingly tense, Rhaenyra and Daemon stalked on either side of me, their presence a reminder of the gravity of my actions. The echoes of Aemond's touch still lingered on my skin, but now they were tainted with the shame and fear of what had transpired.

I tried my best not to entirely tune Rhaenyra out as she scolded and lectured me on my dishonor. She had reason to be mad, but it was as Daemon once told me.

"Your wrongdoings worsen when you apologize for them."

This, however, might've been a different situation. Daemon looked to be a storm that was barely contained. His silence was more terrifying than any words he could have spoken.

When we reached the door to my chambers, Rhaenyra had partially calmed.

"Rest well now. We will speak more on this in the morning." Her voice was firm, but I could sense the underlying worry.

She gave me a final look before turning and walking away, her footsteps echoing down the hall.

Daemon remained, his presence filling the space with a palpable intensity. He gestured for me to enter my room, but as I stepped forward, he caught my arm, stopping me. I turned to face him, my heart pounding in my chest.

He had never been more unpredictable.

I flinched as his hand moved strands of my hair, exposing my neck. He studied marks I hadn't known were left behind. With Valor, I slowly met his eyes.

The look he gave me was like nothing I had ever seen before. His eyes, normally a cold, calculating violet, were now blazing with a mixture of anger and something else, something far more terrifying. It was as if he could see straight through me, piercing every defense I had, every secret I held. His demeanor was unrelenting, fierce, and devoid of any softness.

"Uncle," I began, but he silenced me with a single look, his jaw clenched so tightly I could see the muscles twitch beneath his skin.

"You will stay away from Aemond," he spoke with a warning of the consequences that awaited should I defy him.

"You can't-" I tried to pull away, but his hands took my face and turned it to his.

"Test me, and I'll erase his taste from your mouth." his grip was tight enough to shoot pain through my jaw.

He's doing it again, the underlying tone.

His eyes darkened, the anger in them simmering just below the surface. "You will stay away from him, or so help me, Lenora... I will ensure that he is removed from your life permanently."

The finality in his words sent a shiver down my spine. There was no doubt in my mind that he meant every word. Daemon was not one to make empty threats, and I knew better than to push him further.

I nodded, my throat tight with emotion. "I understand."

He released my arm, but his gaze remained locked on mine, searching for any sign of defiance. Finding none, he finally stepped back, closing my door behind himself.

One clicked shut, I leaned against it, my heart still racing. The fear and intensity of Daemon's warning lingered, a stark reminder of the danger I had placed myself in. I moved to my bed and sat down, the events of the night replaying in my mind before I managed to drift off.