Chapter 12

I see why people choose L.A, the energy is so laidback. You can actually walk on the sidewalks without someone rushing into you. Also, walking around before noon with a pina colada and flipflops in a kaftan is totally normal. Though no one would question New York city fashion either.

"Babe, Hey! I'm sorry the meeting ran late." Lin rushes towards me grabbing my face and kissing me like it's been forever since he last saw me when really it's only been since 7 this morning.

"it's okay I just been sending my resume to other marketing companies."

"Babe..." he closes my laptop. "I asked you to come with me to L.A so that we could spend some time alone and when I'm working I wanted you to just relax."

I quickly stand up giving him a twirl. "Look L.A attire. Flip flops" I point to my feet.

He laughs "Then you should be beside a pool or on the beach not in the hotel room looking for a job."

"It's easy for you to say... you get to work. I've been without a job for one week and the longer the gap it's going to be hard to explain." I plop on the bed trying not to be frustrated.

I've applied to six different New York city marketing companies. So far, I heard back from three, two were hard No's and one heard about the 'incident' at Spotco and replied that they would love to have me, my resume was impressive BUT I was a liability.

"Tony said he would let me work three days a week... and the rest I could work remotely."

"So... three days a week you'll have to be in DC?"

"Well, yeah... but it's a train ride away..."

"The back and forth is going to get old real quick. And then next thing I know you'll be telling me you're moving back there." He's irritated.

"I wouldn't move back there... and you have been travelling and busy with so much projects would you even notice I was gone three days out of the week?"

He scoffs "Would I notice?" I don't think he meant for me to answer because he doesn't wait, he starts walking towards the door. "I'm going for a walk."

"Lin?" the door closes behind him. "Fuck." I throw off the flip flops and exchange it for my converse.

I'm hoping I can get to him before he gets to the lobby. "Come on elevator..." it's barely moving so I decide to just take the stairs. I glimpse the #8 at the door and look back at the elevator to still see it stuck at floor 10. "Ugh fuck it." I start down the stairs already out of breath by floor 6.

I continue down, stopping at floor 2

"That's it I'm going to start going to the gym. One more floor!"

I burst out of the doors looking all around the lobby for him!

"Shit!" I run out of the hotel seeing if I could catch him on the street.

He's no where to be seen. Great now I have a side cramp. I hobble back into the lobby holding my side.

"Bea?" Lin is walking towards me.

"Oh" breathe "where" in "did" breathe "you" out "come from?"

He grabs me and walks me to the nearest chair.

"I just got off the elevator. Did you run down the stairs?"

I hold my hand up indicating I need a few moments.

"I was trying to catch up with you. I won't take the job in DC it was just an option is all."

He takes a deep breath "I've had one of the longest elevator rides and I got to thinking. If that's something you want to do. Then I support it."