Chapter 18

"We did it!" Me and Lucy jumped up hearing our bones crack. We had been hunched over our laptops trying to come up with an initiative for our marketing department.

"I think it's a fantastic start!" Lucy did more stretches trying to conceal the huge yawn she was having.

"I think so too! It only took 2 boxes of pizza and two fresh pots of coffee and five hours later." My stomach starts to feel the effects of the combination. "I'm definitely going to be paying for this later.

"Bea!" Lucy's got my phone in her hand, watching Lin's blue dot settle in... a PARK!

"What is he doing at a park at 11 o'clock at night?" Lucy mumbles something else under her breath. I quickly start packing my stuff, my head is spinning that it takes me a moment to realize that I'm just shoving non-sense items that aren't mine into my bag.

"Where do you think you're going?" Lucy guards the door.

"Move it Luce, we put the tracking on each other for safety reasons and well if he has anything to say I'm going to tell him I was worried about him just hanging out in a dark park."

She thinks for a second then moves "That sounds like a valid reason. I'm coming with..."

I want to protest because I don't feel like having an audience when my life implodes, except if it does it would be nice to have someone on my side.

I can feel my heart start to ache. Why would he do this to me? Go through two months of not being together just to end with a lie. My mind starts to second guess if maybe I was just overreacting. Me and Lin had spent many days together with uninterrupted time, I'm sure if he still had a fiancée that he would be leaving at weird hours of the night and there would be many unaccounted hours, but I can't think of any. Till now.

Lucy grabs onto my hand bringing me back to reality "Our stop babe."

I pull my phone up looking at the blue dot in the same area as before. The subway got us about 3 blocks away.

"Just breathe okay, no matter what we find out. You're going to be fine."

I nod with confidence but inside I was nervous.

One more block to go when suddenly the dot starts to head our way. "Fuck Luce, he's coming this way."

Lucy squints her eyes to see if she notices him but there's not a soul walking down the street.

I look back at my phone, where it seemed to have glitched because now the blue dot was traveling faster than legs could carry.

He has to be in a car, there were several cars heading our way but none that I distinctly recognized. "Looks like he's heading home."

I sigh thinking about what a bust this was. "Luce, I think I'm going to tell him that I'm crashing at your place tonight."

She throws her arm around my shoulders "you mean YOUR place... "

Lin's ringtone starts, "There he is."

"Remain calm."

I took one deep breath and answered "Hey...Babe." I slap a hand over my head, way to not sound awkward.

"Hi babe! I just got home but you're not here." I could hear the sadness in his voice, but was he really?

"Yeah... I was just about to call you. Me and Lucy have a very important presentation to present to Kasey on Friday and honestly, we had nothing for the first two days and we're finally making some headway. I think I'm going to crash here tonight."

"Okay! Yeah sure... I should stay up and finish some things myself."

We lingered on the phone in silence for a bit.