Chapter 2: Reality Bites

Hii guys this is another beautiful chapter for you😊, I discovered 3 days is actually a long day of anticipating an update 😌 so I have decided to try updating every two days 🤩 what do you feel 🤭

------
*"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow is our doubts of today."* — Franklin D. Roosevelt

Pov : Priscilla

The euphoria of graduation quickly faded as I dove headfirst into the job market. Weeks turned into months, and despite my impressive resume and first-class honors, the job offers were nonexistent. Each day, I refreshed my email, hoping for good news, but my inbox remained stubbornly empty.

I sat at my desk, my laptop open to a job search website. The cursor blinked mockingly at me as I scrolled through listings, my optimism waning with each rejection. My savings were dwindling, and the pressure from my family was mounting.

“Priscilla, have you heard back from any of the companies?” my mother called from the living room, her voice laced with concern.

“Not yet, Mom,” I replied, trying to keep the frustration out of my voice.

My mother appeared in the doorway, a worried frown etched on her face. “Maybe you should consider taking a different type of job for now. Just until something in your field opens up.”

I sighed, the weight of my mother’s words pressing down on me. “I know, Mom. I’m just trying to hold out a little longer.”

My mother nodded, but I could see the doubt in her eyes. “I just want you to be happy and secure. You worked so hard for this.”

“I know. Thank you,” I said softly, appreciating my mother’s concern but feeling the sting of my own inadequacy.

As the days passed, the financial pressures became harder to ignore. I took on odd jobs here and there to make ends meet, but it was a far cry from the career I had envisioned. I began to feel like I was failing, not just myself, but my family as well.

One evening, after another fruitless day of job hunting, I sat on my bed, staring at the ceiling. My phone buzzed, and I glanced at the screen to see a message from Tayo.

*Tayo:* "Hey, how’s the job search going?"

I hesitated before replying. *"Not great. I’m starting to wonder if I’ll ever find something in my field."*

*Tayo:* "Don’t say that! You’re brilliant, Priscilla. Something will come up. Have you thought about expanding your search to other cities?"

I sighed. *"I have, but relocating is so expensive. I don’t know if I can afford it."*

*Tayo:* "I get it. Just hang in there, okay? You’ve got this."

I appreciated Tayo’s encouragement, but my doubts continued to gnaw at me. I had always been confident in my abilities, but the constant rejections were eroding that confidence.

That weekend, I joined my family for Sunday dinner. The atmosphere was usually filled with laughter and lively conversation, but tonight felt different. I could sense the unspoken concerns and expectations weighing heavily in the air.

“Priscilla, have you thought about talking to your uncle? He might have some connections that could help,” her father suggested, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

I forced a smile. “I’ll think about it, Dad.”

My brother, Henry, chimed in, “Yeah, Uncle Bode knows a lot of people. It wouldn’t hurt to ask.”

My sister, Amaka, nodded in agreement. “You know we believe in you, Priscilla. You just need a break.”

I appreciated their support, but I couldn’t shake the feeling of inadequacy. “Thanks, guys. I just don’t want to rely on family connections. I want to do this on my own.”

My father gave me a sympathetic look. “We understand, but sometimes it’s okay to accept help. We just want you to succeed.”

After dinner, I retreated to my room, feeling the pressure of my family’s expectations more than ever. I sat at my desk and opened my laptop, my mind racing with doubts. Can I really start my own business if I couldn’t even land a job?

My phone buzzed again, and this time it was a notification for a business workshop in the city. The title caught my eye: “Overcoming Obstacles: Turning Setbacks into Success.”

I hesitated, then clicked on the link. The workshop promised practical advice and networking opportunities, and it was free.

I decided to sign up, hoping it might provide the spark I needed to reignite my confidence.

The day of the workshop, I dressed in my best business attire and made my way to the venue. The room was filled with aspiring entrepreneurs and professionals, each one exuding a sense of determination that I longed to feel again.

The speakers shared their stories of failure and perseverance, and as I listened, I felt a flicker of hope. They had faced obstacles far greater than mine and had still found a way to succeed.

During a break, I struck up a conversation with a woman named Amara, who had started her own marketing firm. We exchanged contact information, and Amara offered to introduce me to some potential clients.

“Don’t give up on your dreams, Priscilla,” Amara said, her eyes full of conviction. “The road may be tough, but it’s worth it.”

I left the workshop feeling a renewed sense of purpose. I knew the journey ahead would be challenging, but I also knew I wasn’t alone. With new connections and a fresh perspective, I was ready to face the reality of my situation head-on.

As I walked home, I couldn’t help but smile. I still had a long way to go, but for the first time in weeks, I felt like I was moving in the right direction. The doubts and pressures hadn’t disappeared, but now, I had the tools and support to overcome them.

That night, as I lay in bed, I reflected on the day's events. The support from my family, friends, and newfound connections gave me a renewed sense of determination. I knew there would be more challenges ahead, but I was ready to face them. With a smile on my lips, I drifted off to sleep, ready to embrace whatever the future has in stock for me.