Chapter 8

Joshua began to think he might be losing perspective when, on hearing that Seokmin and Duke were planning to stay in a motel the night of the court case, he found himself inviting them to stay in his apartment instead. It wasn’t the first time he’d brought a client into his own home, but it was the first time that client was an alpha.

In return, Seokmin agreed to drive the three of them across to Lavern City, collecting Joshua from outside the Omega House early the morning of their court date. The journey was quiet, Joshua going over his notes in preparation while Seokmin drove and Duke tried to hide how worried he was.

Now and then, Joshua would catch glimpses of his face in the rearview mirror and was convinced he hadn’t slept. If there was ever an alpha in need of a comforting omega presence, it was Duke. But Joshua was most decidedly not that kind of omega. Many omegas were the caring type who couldn’t walk past a struggling alpha without trying to help. Omegas like Joshua, with fire in their souls and fight in their hearts, were rarer. Still, he was helping Duke, in his own way. And he’d achieve a lot more for the alpha in court than he would in bed. Besides, there wasn’t even a spark of attraction between them… unlike him and Seokmin.

They beat the rush-hour traffic and reached the courthouse early. They had an hour before they needed to go inside, if not longer, given delays were commonplace. The three of them grabbed coffee from a nearby stand and hung around outside, taking in the crisp morning air.

Joshua decided to use the time to explain how things would go once they stepped inside the courtroom. He kept his voice low, not wanting to be overheard, and both Seokmin and Duke crowded close, listening intently.

Don’t be surprised if it’s short and quick. Sometimes it’s over before you even realize it’s started. It very much depends on the judge, and we won’t know who we’re up in front of until we get inside. Some judges just rubber-stamp every welfare check request you put in front of them, others might ask for more information. That’s where I come in. I’ll speak for you, Duke.

He paused, waiting for the alpha’s nod of acknowledgment before he continued.

Don’t panic if the judge rules against us. It happens sometimes, without rhyme or reason—the judge is in a bad mood, the court’s running late. Remember, this is just the first step, not the last.

His phone buzzed, and he glanced at it. “That’s Matt. He says it’s time to head inside.

He led the way, stepping into the familiar arena of the courthouse, feeling more confident with each step. It didn’t take long to find their courtroom and confirm which judge was sitting that morning. Then it was just a matter of standing down at the back with the rest, keeping his eyes and ears peeled for their case. It was supposed to be the last one on the docket before lunch, but Joshua knew well how the clerks could chop and change things without notice. Joshua had been up in front of Judge Dal many times before. Seokmin and Duke seemed concerned by the judge’s sharp refusal of most petitions put to him, his answers short and to the point, but Joshua wasn’t concerned. This was his battlefield; he was very familiar with the rules of engagement. As their case was called, he strode forward to stand next to Matthew. He flashed a note at Matt, and the other man glanced at it and nodded before turning his attention to Judge Dal.

As Matthew started speaking, Joshua felt the judge’s gaze land on him before it moved pointedly behind him to where Duke stood.

Matthew got to the end of his petition, and Judge Dal spoke.

What is the basis of this request?” he asked. “On whose behalf has the petition been filed?

Your honor,” Matthew said. “This petition has been put before you by the Department of Family Services based on concerns raised by Advocate Hong on behalf of Duncan Smith, the father of this child and a decorated veteran.