Chapter 12

Seokmin drove them straight to the courthouse, but there was no sign of Joshua when they got there.

He’s probably still on his way,” he assured Duke as the alpha paced back and forth in front of the building.

Do you think Jack is really okay?” Duke asked him again. “After what Joshua said on the phone, about taking him to the hospital?

Just a precaution,” a voice said from behind them.

They turned to see Joshua in the midst of straightening his shirt and tie.

I had to stop by my apartment for some court clothes. Judge Dal is a stickler for propriety. Are you guys okay?

Is Jack?” Duke wanted to know.

Joshua hesitated. “Physically, he seems alright. Nothing a bottle of milk and a bath wouldn’t help. Emotionally… I’d guess he’s had it rough these past few months. But that’s why we’re here.

He stepped closer, lowering his voice. “Matthew called and added an emergency custody hearing to the end of Judge Dal’s list. That’s not a guarantee we’ll be heard today, but since we were only up in front of him yesterday, and he showed some personal interest, I think we could do worse than going and hanging around at the back of his courtroom.

What does an emergency custody hearing entail?” Seokmin asked, pressing a hand to Duke’s shoulder to calm him. He could feel how tense the other alpha was, his shoulder muscles bunched tight beneath his shirt.

It’s basically us asserting that Jack’s current home is unsuitable and unsafe, and that he needs an alternative placement on a temporary basis. We’re going to suggest that placement be with you, Duke. But I’m going to warn you right off the bat that we have a fifty-fifty chance of custody being granted to you right now. Maybe even less, considering you live out of state.

Duke’s face fell, and the alpha pulled back a step. Seokmin moved with him, opening his mouth to reassure his friend, but Joshua got there first.

Luck is on our side, Duke. We’re back in front of Judge Dal, who I know for a fact has a son in the army. He’s going to be sympathetic to you and your plight. Maybe that won’t mean custody right away, but it will very likely mean custody sometime soon.

Duke didn’t react at first, then he gave a slow nod.

Let’s head inside,” Joshua said, gesturing toward the court doors.

Duke went first. When Seokmin went to follow, Joshua stopped him with a hand on his arm, murmuring in his ear.

Whatever happens in there, whatever ruling the judge makes, you need to keep Duke calm. Any outburst, no matter how small, could look really bad.

I’ll do my best,” he promised, and they followed Duke inside.

The crowd at the back of the courtroom was thinner than the previous day, and they got a few curious looks. Seokmin also noticed the moment the judge clocked them. Clearly, he remembered them. Seokmin could only hope that was a good sign.

He kept his focus on Duke, but the alpha seemed quiet, almost meditative. He missed their case being called, realizing it only when Joshua was halfway down the room. Giving Duke a gentle push, they followed after him.

Well, Advocate Hong, we meet again,” Judge Dal said, sounding amused. “Are you here on behalf of your alpha client?

Joshua didn’t seem fazed by the judge’s manner.