Epilogue

When it rained, it poured. That night, many hours after Officer Greggs’s departure, Joshua woke to telltale cramping in his abdomen. Ignoring it, he went back to sleep. A few hours passed with the pain waking him on and off before he decided he couldn’t sleep through it any longer. He shifted back to human form and nudged a sleeping Seokmin.

I think it’s time,” he whispered.

Time time?” Seokmin asked, sounding far more awake than Joshua thought was fair.

Uh-huh.

The alpha sat up, looked him up and down, and then grabbed his phone and made a call.

Mission Litter is a go… ETA?” He glanced speculatively at Joshua, resting one hand against his bump. “Imminent.

Hanging up, Seokmin tossed the phone back on the nightstand. “I know we already talked about this, but… this would be a lot easier for you if you stayed in animal form.

And I already told you that I’ve always wanted to experience this. I’m sure it would be magical as a fox, but… I want to do this as a human.

Joshua was adamant about how he wanted this to go.

Seokmin cupped the back of his neck and kissed his forehead. “I understand, but if you change your mind at any time...

You’ll be the first to know,” Joshua promised.

Another contraction started up, and he groaned, heaving himself out of bed. “Are you sure we don’t need like… incubators and stuff?

The babies are past ninety days’ gestation,” Seokmin said. “For pack babies, that’s full term. We have everything they need right here.

Yuna knocked on the door, and Zane followed a few minutes later. It was all hands on deck for their new arrivals.

It was another hour before Joshua felt the urge to push. He was lying against Seokmin on the bed, the alpha’s warm presence at his back steadying. It was fair to admit he was a little scared. Not of the pain, but of the way that everything would be different. As much as he tried to pretend otherwise, babies changed things. They’d impact his and Seokmin’s relationship, his relationship with the pack, his work, his whole life. And yet that fear was drowned out by excitement. He’d long wondered what his kids would look like, how it would feel to hold them in his arms, and soon he’d get to meet them.

He glanced over his shoulder at Seokmin, and the alpha smiled at him, brushing a sweaty strand of hair from his forehead.

You’re doing great. Remember, wait for the pain to crest, and then push. Not too soon, or you’ll tire yourself out and you won’t get anywhere.

Got it,” he promised, accepting the ice chips Yuna offered him.

He gripped Seokmin and Yuna’s hands tightly at the next contraction, pushing with all his might, aware that Seokmin had leaned around him. And then the cry of a baby filled the room as the little one was placed on his chest, all dark hair, wrinkled skin, and tiny curled fists.

Oh, that’s an angry cry,” he said. “Someone’s not happy to be out in the cold, mean world. Shh, baby. I’ve got you.

Seokmin tied and cut the cord before Yuna laid a towel over the baby, and Joshua clutched him closer, shushing him, humming quietly. His shrill crying petered off to a content snuffle as Joshua’s warmth and scent cut through the shock of being born.

Seokmin eased the towel away so he could see their little one.

Hi there, kiddo. Welcome home.