Chapter 16

Seokmin had planned to kick the others out once brunch was over so he could talk to Joshua in private. But there was no need. Almost as soon as they were done eating, and after a half-hearted attempt to help wash up, the others were only too glad to escape.

Joshua started clearing plates as Seokmin walked Seungcheol and the others to the door.

Did you tell him?” Vernon demanded to know.

Of course not.

But he knows.

He’s smart. I guess it’s not a surprise that he worked it out.

Is that such a bad thing?” Duke said, bouncing Jack gently in his arms.

We could certainly use the influence of an omega.

He’s no Anchor,” Seokmin warned.

Even though he couldn’t tell them things between him and Joshua weren’t what they seemed, he didn’t want to get their hopes up either. It wasn’t fair.

Seungcheol laughed at that. “You’re telling us?

But you like him, right?” Duke pressed.

I like him,” Seokmin agreed, hating to lie to them but knowing the truth would only hurt them. “But this isn’t anything serious. He has a life elsewhere that he’ll be getting back to soon enough.

He must be good for you,” Zane contended quietly. “Those dark circles under your eyes are gone.

Seokmin hadn’t given himself more than a cursory glance in the mirror, but now all their eyes were trained on him.

Well, who wouldn’t sleep after a roll in the hay with the beautiful omega in their bed?” Seungcheol said, clapping Vernon on the shoulder. “Maybe we should follow the leader, huh?

Vernon shrugged off Seungcheol’s hand. “What if he reports us?

He won’t.” Seokmin tried to sound more confident than he felt. Would Joshua learning they were a pack make him more or less likely to turn Seokmin in?

I hope you’re right,” Vernon replied. “For all our sakes, but especially for Duke and Jack’s. Do you think they’ll let him keep Jack if they take us in?

It won’t happen,” Seokmin said sharply, watching Duke tense out of the corner of his eye.

He lightened his tone. “Go on, get out of here. Let me do some damage control with Joshua. I’ll call you later.

They filed out, heading for two cars, and Seokmin shut the door firmly, resting his forehead against it.

How much of that did you hear?” he asked quietly.

Enough,” Joshua said, coming around the corner and into view. “Why don’t we get the dishes finished, and then we can talk?

Seokmin pushed away from the door and followed Joshua back to the kitchen. He didn’t think he could talk his way out of this, but maybe their story would be enough to make Joshua reconsider turning him in.

Joshua washed while he dried and put everything away, belatedly remembering the circumstances of the omega’s arrival the previous day.

What brought you over yesterday? We never did get around to that.

No,” Joshua agreed wryly. “There were more important things to talk about. There still are.

Nothing that can’t wait a while. What’s up?