Chapter Twenty-Three

"Seems like an interesting book." Maverick smirked as he glanced over the pages and I squeaked and blushed bright red as I slammed it closed. "Um y-yep very informative." I stuttered and he chuckled. "I'm guessing my sisters got ahold of you?" he asked and I smiled slightly.

"They did help me, along with Mary. I just... wanted to learn so I'm not so confused all the time." I explained shyly as I looked down at my hands and he immediately grabbed my chin and gently lifted my eyes to his again. "There is nothing to be embarrassed about, you read whatever makes you happy and helps you to feel more confident." he smiled and I returned it before nuzzling my cheek into his hand.

"Ready to go eat dinner?" he asked and I bit my lip nervously but nodded. I padded into my closet and quickly changed into a pair of black ripped skinny jeans and a grey graphic tee shirt before pulling on some black socks and my combat boots. I double checked that my hair looks nice and then took Maverick's hand and followed him downstairs and towards the large dining hall for the first time.

We stepped inside and the loud chatter immediately quieted as many curious eyes locked on to me. Maverick led me to the end of the table towards where his family were seated along with all of our friends and paused at a couple of empty seats. "Good evening everyone," Maverick called, his authoritative voice quickly silencing the last few conversations. "I just wanted to introduce Cassandra to you all and confirm that she is indeed my mate." He smiled as cheers and howls echoed around the room and I blushed but smiled as well, Nyx coming forwards to give me the confidence to keep our head high.

We settled into our seats then and conversation resumed and flowed easily as large plates of different foods were passed around. I chatted with Oliver and Avery easily as they were to my left with Ryan, Jordyn and Jackson occasionally pitching in across from us along with Maverick's family to the right. "So did you read any of the books yet Cass?" Leah suddenly asked and I blushed but nodded at her with a smile.

"Yes the anatomy book was really interesting, I think I will ask Mary to recommend more educational books for me like it. Science was always my favorite subject in school." I stated and Maverick looked at me with a grin. "I don't think that was the book I saw you reading." he teased and my blush brightened as Leah and Isabelle giggled and leaned closer. "Th-That was the second book I was reading." I stammered and he chuckled, taking my hand in his.

"Which one was it?" Isabelle grinned and I shook my head. Maverick glanced at her and I realized he was mind linking with them when they both started giggling and I blushed again. "You two leave Cassandra alone." Marie chided her twins with a stern look but I saw the warmth in her eyes as they made faces but nodded. "So how are you settling in Cassandra? Are you ready to join the pack?" Andrew asked and I glanced to him and then Maverick with wide eyes.

"No need to rush angel, we can talk about it later." Maverick murmured as he pressed a kiss to my temple and I relaxed into his side. Dinner and conversation continued easily for a while before I decided to head back to my room. I assured Maverick he could stay and that I would just be upstairs before heading down the hall and up the staircase.

Once I reached my room I changed into a grey tank top with black flannel pajama shorts and padded barefoot out on to the balcony. I hopped up on to the wide railing and sat comfortably, gazing up at the moon as I turned over thoughts in my mind before calling to my wolf. 'Nyx?'

'Yes Cass?'

'What do you think about joining the pack? Do you want to join?' I asked softly and could sense her thinking as well. 'I think joining would be the best option for us. We have been without a pack of our own kind for so many years, it would be a good thing to stay here. Joining our wild cousins helped and we love them as our own, but it is not the same as truly being with others of our kind.'