Finding Normalcy

Chapter 8: Finding Normalcy

~ Aneria's POV ~

   I woke the next morning, rubbing my strange violet eyes before focusing on my surroundings. I shot up out of the bed, Laena was gone. I threw the blanket off my pale and bare thighs before rushing to the door. I swung the door open, checking the halls before making my way downstairs. A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I spotted the whole group in the kitchen. All the boys faces seemed to turn a bright red as their eyes widened. I furrowed my browns in confusion before glancing down at myself, I was in the same big t-shirt I slipped on last night. My thighs were bare, the shirt only covering up to my mid thigh. I arched a brow before glancing back up at them and padding over to grab a piece of toast off the plate Sage was carrying. I popped it into my mouth before scoffing. "Stop staring at me like you've never seen legs before, you immature assholes." I spat, rolling my eyes.

   Kaden was the first to peel his eyes away, an unamused look plastered on his face, unlike the other two. Alaric's eyes seemed hooded as they traveled back up to my face, while Rowan's lips were slightly parted before he quickly snapped his head away. I finished the toast I had stolen from Sage before clapping my hands together. "Training starts in an hour so get your asses ready or you're cut from my team." I spoke plainly, glancing to Laena. She was spaced out, her eyes glazed over as she pressed her nails into the palm of her hand. I walked up to the stool she was sat on and grabbed her wrist, dragging her to the room with me. Her expression never changed as I picked out some clothes for her. "You're going to join us for training today, maybe it'll make you feel a little better." I said softly, not expecting a response. "No." she replied plainly, her voice slightly shaky. "What do you mean no, Laena?" I shot back, trying to keep my tone soft as I furrowed my brows. "I will not get ready just to step outside and train, when I know it won't help me with anything." she said coldly, turning away from me. My eyes widened before I gathered my thoughts enough to form a reply. "Well you have no choice Madden, I get you went through some shit, stuff I will never be able to understand, but you will not sit here in your own sweat on my watch. I fought to get Laena Madden out of that hell house, not whoever you've turned into. Now get the fuck up and get dressed." I spat, turning on my heel and slamming the door to the restroom shut.

--------------------------------

   It has been about half an hour since I snapped at Laena, and I haven't left the bathroom. I ran my fingers through my pale white hair before clutching the countertop and letting out a breath. I raised my head, staring into my own strange eyes. I don't know what to do anymore. Images of everything the happened to Laena flash through my mind as my eyes well with tears. She isn't the same person anymore, I know it's because of everything she's been through, but it doesn't dull the pain at all. If only I had made it there on time, what if it was me standing next to her instead of Rowan? Rowan. Ever since he let her slip through his fingers I have loathed him more than I did before. I want nothing more than to torture him as badly as they tortured innocent Laena as punishment for what he did, or didn't do. He doesn't deserve the respect the others give him, the respect I had for him. He has always been weak, but that was a whole other level. I don't think I will ever forgive him for letting those horrible things happen to her, and to be completely honest I don't care. He doesn't deserve my forgiveness, or Laena's.

   My eyes fluttered closed as I tried to control my breathing. I pushed off the countertop, making sure everything was in place before reaching for the door handle. I swung the door open only to be met with an empty room. My brows furrowed but I don't have the energy to search for her right now. I grabbed my bag off the hook near my door before exiting the room. I quickly made my way to the balcony, taking out a cigarette then lighting it. I raised it to my lips, taking a long drag before exhaling. I closed my eyes, the memory of Laena standing next to me, scolding me for smoking so much replaying in my mind. To be completely honest, I don't know why I do it, smoke I mean. I started when I was around thirteen, after seeing Sylas for the first time. I had stolen the cigarette from my fathers drawer, and ever since then I had to have a pack near me. I wouldn't call it addiction, well Laena would, or did. I just think it's an outlet, a way for me to relax. I opened my eyes, taking in the seemingly sad sky before realizing how small the cigarette had become, it was now burning my index and middle finger. I pursed my lips together, slowly dropping it then stepping on it. My head snapped up as I heard the door open, I turned my head, meeting Kaden's eyes. I arched a brow before looking back out over the balcony.