21 | Sneaking

"So, Souda-kun, I was hoping to maybe sleep here? Hinata-kun talked about a bath tub with warm water. The ocean is so lonely and cold at night, all on my own,"

"...I guess. Who even cares at this point..." He nodded, sitting down on his bed.

"Thank you!"

Hinata went to the bathroom and began running the mermaid a bath.

"So..." Souda began, looking at Komaeda as they waited for the bathtub to fill up. "Are mermaid girls hot or what?"

Komaeda looked him up and down. "You are not quite in their league,"

"WHAT???"

Hinata folded up his sleeves and put a towel in front of the bathtub. The mirror was fogging up and he wiped it down with his hand.

"I mean, I'm not a great example for a mermaid. I look quite worthless. The other ones look way better than I do,"

"Stop talking shit about yourself, Komaeda," The brunet said.

"Sorry, sorry. Is the bath ready?"

"I guess so. Do you want me to add bubbles to it?"

"Bubbles?"

"Yeah, I can use Souda's shampoo,"

"Shampoo?" He asked.

"Stuff you put in your hair to clean it,"

"I see. My skin is quite sensitive, I don't know if it's safe,"

"Then let's not risk it." He picked him up and set him down in the tub.

"Ahh, this feels good. Thank you," He smiled up at the brunet.

"No problem. I'll go to sleep now. Just tell me if you need anything and good night,"'

"Good night!"

Komaeda slept well that night, looking forward o going home the next day.

When he woke up, Hinata was brushing his teeth in the bathroom. He spat out the toothpaste and washed his mouth out.

"Good morning, Hinata-kun. Thank you for letting me stay, I feel so moisturized now. Human water is different than my home water, huh..."

"It's cleaner,"

"So I am dirty?"

"Probably not. I bet mermaids have some kind of cleaning mechanism in their body. Anyway-" Hinata reached into the the next to Komaeda and pulled out the plug.

"Are we leaving already?"

"Yeah. I'll go get the bag. Is it alright if I cover you with a towel?"

"I don't mind,"

He placed the bag in front of the bathtub. "Great." He picked the mermaid up and placed him in the bag. Komaeda rolled himself up as tiny as possible. His tail was flexible, so it was quite easy. Hinata put a towel on top of him. "Done. No one will suspect a thing,"

"And what's your excuse for carrying that big ass bag around?" Souda asked, putting on his jacket.

"I was hoping you had an idea." He told his friend, grabbing one of the bag's straps. Souda grabbed the other one.

"Nah. Let's just improvise,"

"Okay. Thanks for your help, man,"

They left the dorm, backpacks on their backs, Komaeda in a bag in their hands. The friends made their way to the ship.

Yukizome smiled at them, holding a notebook. "Hinata, Souda, check. You two can put all your bags in there." She pointed at a storage room at the bottom of the ship. They carefully put the Komaeda bag down, put their backpacks in the storage room and tried to sneak on the ship without anyone noticing the huge bag they were still carrying.

"Put that thing there with the other bags too, please," she said.

"We can't. It's fragile,"

"...What's in there?"

"...A vase. For my mom. The towel is to protect it,"

"Could I see it please?"

"It's private, sorry." Hinata said, beginning to walk onto the ship.

"Hinata-kun, what's in there?"

"A vase. Souda, let's go already!"

"I know it's not a vase in there." She crossed her arms.

Souda looked around. "It's embarrassing. We can't say what's in there,"

"Come on, show me. I won't laugh or tell anyone." She promised, smiling.

"No!" Hinata shouted. "It's private,"

"It's a lifesize doll, so..."

Her eyes widened. "A-a what??"

"It's kinda embarrassing that we're 18 playing with dolls, so don't tell anyone." He reached into the bag and pulled Komaeda's arm out. The prince played along, letting his hand hang there, limp. Souda hid the arm again.

"Holy sh-! Where did you get a life-size doll?? Are you sure it's not a dead body??"

"Positive. He's still warm." Hinata gave a thumbs up.

"What's that supposed to mean?!"

"It's a special function. He can heat up. That's what I meant." He pulled out the arm again.

"Enough!" She grabbed the towel and threw it onto the sand. "Oh... So you two really are playing with mermaid dolls," She trailed a finger down his tail. "It feels so real. Hm... Well, as long as it's just that, take it up there of you wanna. I don't judge... I guess,"

"Thanks!" Souda said and they quickly carried the bag onto the ship.

"Great. Now she thinks we're grown men playing with mermaid dolls. But whatever... at least Komaeda's safe,"

Souda grinned at his friend, wiggling his eyebrows. "Uh-huh. At least he's safe," he repeated, acting dramatic.

"Oh, shut up. It's a normal instinct to worry about other people,"

"I wasn't worried,"

"That's 'cause you're an asshole,"

"What?? I helped you-!"

"Shut up! The others are coming!" The brunet hissed.

Nanami and Kamukura entered the ship. "That's a big bag, Hinata-kun," she said. "What's in there?"

"Nothing important,"

Kamukura stared straight into his brother's eyes. Nanami shrugged and dragged him away.