Chapter 2

Ain stood in front of the mirror, adjusting the gold bracelet on her wrist. The soft hum of her husband, Adam, preparing for his flight in the next room filled the air. It had been three months since their wedding—a union arranged by their families with hopes that the two of them would grow fond of each other over time. Ain had always been skeptical of arranged marriages, but Adam's easygoing nature made the transition surprisingly smooth. He was respectful, kind, and always tried to make her comfortable in their new life together.

But there was one thing that lingered in the back of her mind, casting a shadow over her growing affection for him. Two weeks into their marriage, Adam had sat her down and, with an apologetic tone, revealed that he had a girlfriend. He'd met her years before their marriage was even a consideration, and though he had agreed to the marriage out of respect for his family, his heart was still with the woman he loved.

Ain remembered the exact moment he had told her. She had smiled and nodded, her pride unwilling to let her show the sting of his words. "I hope you don't mind," he had said gently, and she had replied with a nonchalant shrug, "Why would I?"

But she did mind.

Every day since then, Ain found herself trapped in a battle between her ego and her heart. She had never been one to chase after anyone, let alone a man who had clearly stated his affections lay elsewhere. Yet, despite her best efforts to remain indifferent, she couldn't help but notice all the small things about Adam that made her heart flutter.

He was the epitome of a "green flag"—thoughtful, patient, and always considerate of her feelings. He never let her carry heavy grocery bags, always made sure her favorite tea was stocked in the kitchen, and when he came back from his flights, he would bring her little souvenirs from the cities he had visited. It was these small, seemingly insignificant gestures that made it difficult for her to detach herself emotionally.

Ain tried everything to suppress her growing feelings. She buried herself in her work at the hospital, taking extra shifts, volunteering for difficult cases, anything to keep her mind off him. But it was hard when Adam was always there, unknowingly making her fall deeper for him with every kind word and gentle smile.

One evening, after a particularly long day at the hospital, Ain came home to find Adam in the kitchen, cooking dinner. The smell of spices filled the air, and he looked up with a smile as she entered.

"Hey, I thought you might be tired, so I made dinner," he said, his tone casual, but there was a warmth in his eyes that made her heart skip a beat.

"Thanks," she replied, trying to keep her voice steady.

They ate in comfortable silence, the only sounds were the clinking of utensils and the occasional hum of a passing car outside. As they finished their meal, Adam cleared his throat, his expression turning serious.

"Ain, I want to talk to you about something," he began, and her heart sank. Was this it? Was he going to tell her he wanted a divorce? That he had finally decided to leave her for his girlfriend?

"Sure, what is it?" she asked, forcing a calm demeanor.

"I've been thinking a lot lately," he said, his eyes meeting hers, "about our situation, about you, and... about my girlfriend."

Ain felt a lump form in her throat, but she remained silent, waiting for him to continue.

"I won't lie, this has been complicated," he said, his voice steady. "But I've come to realize something important. You've been nothing but understanding and supportive, even when you had every right to be upset. And despite the circumstances, we've managed to build something... special."

Ain blinked, unsure of where he was going with this.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is... I've started to care for you, Ain. More than I thought I would, or even could, given everything."

Her breath caught in her throat. This was not what she had expected.

"I know this isn't fair to you," Adam continued, "but I want to be honest. I'm still trying to figure things out, but I don't want to hurt you in the process. You deserve better than that."

Ain stared at him, her mind racing. Her ego screamed at her to walk away, to protect herself from further pain. But her heart... her heart was already entwined with his, and the thought of losing him, even if he was never truly hers to begin with, was unbearable.

She took a deep breath, forcing herself to speak. "Adam, I appreciate your honesty, but I need to know—where does this leave us?"

Adam looked down, his expression conflicted. "I don't have all the answers right now, Ain. But I do know that I want to give this... us... a real chance. If you're willing."

For the first time in weeks, Ain allowed herself to hope. It wasn't a perfect solution, and there were still many uncertainties ahead, but maybe, just maybe, they could find a way through this together.

"Okay," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "Let's try."

And with that, the unspoken tension between them began to ease, replaced by a fragile but growing connection—one that, despite the odds, might just stand the test of time.