Chapter 11

"How am I doing?" I panted, looking up at Thalia in hope. She simply shook her head.

"Do another lap." She ordered and I groaned. Thalia and I had been travelling round England for a couple of months now, getting to know each other better and avoiding Lydia and Serpius. Thalia had decided today that I should start this so-called 'training' that she had in store for me to help me use my powers effectively. But all I had been doing for the past couple of hours was just running laps around a huge field. At first I had used my power to help me round the lap but Thalia had caught on and made me do ten more laps.

After another half an hour I completed the last lap, landing face down in the grass. My body was exhausted, and I could barely lift my head to look up with annoyance at Thalia. She just smiled at me sweetly and wiped my forehead with a towel.

"You can take a break now, Chris." She said with a smirk and I rolled my eyes.

"Good. I'm exhausted." I choked out, still trying to suck in enough air. I didn't know how this was possibly helping me to control my power but she seemed to know what she was doing.

"I know you think this is pointless, Chris, but it's just helping to warm you up and get you fitter." She said with a smile and I frowned. Fitter?

"Excuse me? I'm very fit! I may have gained a little weight, but I'm still fit!" I exclaimed and Thalia tried not to laugh.

"I know, I know. But I'm just trying to help your reflexes, that's all. So you're ready for any surprise attacks that either Serpius or X have to throw at you." I nodded in defeat.

"I guess...but please, can we move on from the 'warm up' now?" I asked hopefully. She sighed.

"Okay, fine. But first...I'm gonna need you to show me all of the powers you currently have that you are aware of." I nodded with a smirk and she rolled her eyes. We made our way to some nearby woods so no one would see us and I took a couple of steps back from Thalia. My eyes glowed green and I held my hands out, looking directly at her, eyebrows raised mischievously. She looked at me slightly warily, like I was going to hurt her. But why would I want to do that? As I watched, she started to rise up into the air slowly, fear etched across her face.

"I'm not going to drop you, okay?" I said, rolling my eyes. Her expression softened slightly and her feet met the ground once again, disturbing the grass below her slightly.

"Please don't do that again." She said in annoyance but I noticed that her tone sounded slightly scared. I felt a pang of guilt and I walked up to her, embracing her gently.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I promise." I whispered softly into her ear and I felt her hug me tighter.

"I know. But I've seen what Serpius can do and it scares me. I just hope you never become like him." I nodded and smiled, pulling away.

"I will never be like him, trust me. He's a mental case." I reassured her and she smiled, stepping back a few paces.

"I know." She said and smirked. "You're too goofy to be evil." I laughed and she grinned at me.

"And now, for my next trick." I announced loudly and Thalia folded her arms, smirking. I waggled my eyebrows at her and she rolled her eyes.

"You're so weird." She muttered quietly but I heard. I snorted. I closed my eyes and started to rise up slowly. Opening my eyes, I watched Thalia's expression. She was smiling, but I could see that she was in awe. Once I was about ten feet above the ground, I held my hands out and my eyes burned red. A fireball started to form between my palms and I smirked cockily. It grew as I fuelled it and as I watched, I saw it starting to twist and bend. It was beginning to form a shape. My eyes widened in horror as I realised that it was becoming a dragon. Closing my eyes, I desperately tried to stop the dragon from forming. I opened my eyes again and, to my relief, saw the fire start to diminish. Looking down, I saw that Thalia was no longer trying to hide her awe. I floated back down to the ground and walked towards her.