[2] Sparks

The classroom buzzed with the low hum of idle chatter and the scratch of pencils against paper as the teacher droned on about a topic that barely registered with Jade West. Sitting in her usual spot near the back, she cast a glance across the room at Harper, who was seated two rows ahead. She didn't sit next to her—not yet, anyway—but lately, Jade found her gaze drifting to Harper more often than she'd care to admit.

It wasn't like she was actively trying to stare at Harper, but something about the girl drew her in, like a magnet she couldn't resist. Harper's presence had become a constant, quietly pulling at Jade's attention even when she tried to focus on anything else. There was something effortlessly captivating about her—the way her hair framed her face, the way she bit her lip in concentration, the way her eyes sparkled with a sort of quiet determination that Jade found herself admiring.

Jade had always been the type to notice things about people—their flaws, their insecurities, the things they tried to hide. But with Harper, it was different. Instead of picking apart what made Harper weak, Jade found herself noticing the things that made her strong, the things that made her... beautiful.

And that terrified Jade more than anything.

Jade wasn't used to feeling this way—so out of control, so vulnerable. She wasn't supposed to care about anyone, especially not someone like Harper, who was so different from her, so unguarded. But the more she tried to push those thoughts away, the stronger they became, until she couldn't ignore them any longer.

Harper, for her part, could feel Jade's eyes on her. She wasn't sure what to make of it. Jade West wasn't exactly known for being friendly, and Harper had never expected her to pay much attention to her, let alone look at her like this. It wasn't hostile, but it wasn't exactly welcoming either. It was... intense. Harper felt a strange mix of curiosity and nervousness under Jade's gaze, wondering what Jade saw when she looked at her like that.

Class ended without either of them making a move to speak to each other. Jade stayed in her seat for a moment, watching as Harper packed up her things and left the room. She felt a strange sense of loss as Harper disappeared from sight, but she quickly shoved it aside, gathering her own belongings and heading to her next class.

---

Lunchtime came, and the usual chaos of the school hallways was in full swing. Students streamed out of classrooms, eager to escape to the cafeteria or their favorite hangout spots. Harper was making her way through the throng of people, lost in her own thoughts, when she heard the unmistakable sound of raised voices behind her.

"Jade, please!" a familiar voice called out, tinged with desperation.

Harper turned around just in time to see Jade storming down the hallway, her face a mask of anger. Beck, Jade's boyfriend, was hot on her heels, his expression one of frustration and concern.

"Let me explain!" Beck yelled, reaching out to grab her arm, but Jade yanked it away, her eyes flashing with fury.

"No! Just leave me alone!" Jade shouted back, her voice thick with emotion as she quickened her pace, heading straight for the girls' restroom. Beck slowed to a stop as Jade disappeared behind the door, his shoulders slumping in defeat.

Harper watched the scene unfold, her heart pounding in her chest. She hesitated for a moment, then made her way over to Beck, who was standing in the middle of the hallway, running a hand through his hair in frustration.

"Hey," Harper said softly as she approached him. "What happened?"

Beck sighed heavily, turning to look at her. "We had a fight," he admitted, his voice weary. "Jade was upset because I drove some girls to school this morning. She got jealous, and it turned into this whole thing."