Chapter 1 - The Painting:

Edmund's POV:

"We're home." Lucy called once we entered our aunt and uncle's (the Scrubb's) home.

"Hello?" I lazily closed the door behind us.

"Hello, Uncle Harold!" Lucy greeted, bringing the groceries into the kitchen.

"I tried to find some carrots but all they had were turnips again." She informed him.

"Shall I start making soup?" Lucy took off her coat.

"Aunt Alberta's on her way home." Lucy stopped and looked at her uncle when she realised she was being ignored as he sat reading the paper.

"Uncle Harold," Lucy repeated.

He once again ignored her, only flipping the page on his newspaper. I rolled my eyes. Lucy did everything they asked of her - and more - yet they couldn't be bothered to respect her one bit. I childishly stuck my tongue out at him, knowing there was nothing else I could do.

"Father!" I groaned, recognising the horrid voice of our obnoxious cousin Eustace. His voice was impossible to miss, especially when he was yelling down the stairs. I turned and saw him peering through the railing from the middle of the staircase.

"Edmund's making faces at you!" he ratted out. I glared at him before he blew a spitball at me through a straw. It hit me in the neck; I gasped, clutching at it. The little brat. I scowled.

"Why you little-" I cut myself off, before I swore, racing up the stairs to get to Eustace. After all these months, I was clearly losing my patience and was totally done with him.

"Father, he's hit me!" Eustace complained, ducking before I could reach him. Rolling my eyes, I got ready to strike when Lucy interrupted.

"Edmund, look!" Lucy exclaimed, making me hesitate. She was ginning, clutching a letter as she walked towards the stairs.

"It's from Susan!" She explained. I noticed the stamp on the letter. It had come from America, exactly where Peter, Susan and our parents were right now.

We walked upstairs to Lucy's bedroom. I sat down on her bed next to her as she started to read the letter. We clearly had no intention of showing the letter to our pompous cousin. All he would do was make fun of us.

Lucy began reading the letter aloud.

"I do wish you were here with us. It's been such an adventure, but nothing like our times in Narnia. America is very exciting, except we never see Father. He works so very hard." She continued, I began to zone out as she began to talk about some guy.

I started to walk towards a painting of a ship hanging on the wall.

But I zoned back in when she said: "It seems the Germans have made the crossing difficult right now. Times are hard. Mother hopes you both won't mind another few months in Cambridge."

I turned around and stared at her in shock.

"Another few months?" Lucy exclaimed, looking up from the letter to make eye contact with me. "How will we survive?" She asked urgently as I sat back down, next to her on the bed and took the letter, reading it for myself.

"You're lucky," I pointed out.

"At least you've got your own room. I'm stuck with mullet mouth." I muttered, scanning my eyes over the letter quickly. The neat handwriting was smudged a little in some areas, almost as though Susan was in a hurry to write the letter, she clearly had some more important things to do.

"Susan and Peter are the lucky ones." Lucy retorted, I stood up and walked away from her bed. "Off on adventures." She looked back down at the letter I left on the bed beside her.