Chapter 38

On the way I look at Victor "I do not think Francisco will choose us remember at the gala his loyalty lies with Ryder" I say and Victor nods "I know but he needs to be given the chance to choose it's mafia law" he says and I nod. "Rae you should know something about Ricky" he says and I look at him curiously "we did a check on him and he is Alejandro's nephew we didn't see it before because of the different last names but the time of the attack on Ryder's family Alejandro was in Philadelphia and so was Ricky" he says and then adds "Alejandro and Ricky were the ones who murdered his family" I look down at my hands "does he know?" I ask and Victor shakes his head "no just you me and my tech guy Jace" I nod and debate what to say next. "Would it change anything if he knew?" I ask and he shrugs his shoulders "who knows how he would react but the choice is yours if you want him to know" Victor says. I think about it and then say "he will probably be pissed but he took away my chance at closure and I took away his, let's keep it to ourselves for now and if we need to we can use the information as leverage later on" I say decisively. Victor looks at me "spoken like a true mafia boss" he says and smiles. I roll my eyes "driver" I correct him. "We will see about that" he says and we get out of the car at Francisco's house. When we knock on the door we are greeted by a butler and taken to his office. Francisco stands and greets us then we all sit down to talk business. "Francisco I don't know if you are aware but as of Thursday night I have cut the alliance between my mafia and  Ryder's due to an attack on Rae and the threat of another attack" Victor says sternly "as you know once an alliance is broken the other members of the alliance must choose a side" Victor says. I watch Francisco as he thinks it over. He looks at me and back at Victor "as you know I've always seen him as a son to me" he looks at me and adds "Rae you saved my life and all of our lives at the meeting on Monday and I saved your life at the gala so we are even in that respect" he takes a deep breath "Victor you have protected and saved my people on countless occasions and for that I am indebted to you" Francisco says and Victor nods. Francisco pulls a contract from his top drawer and hands it to Victor. Victor looks it over and then looks up at Francisco but before he can speak Francisco says "I have decided to step away from this life I was going to meet with you tomorrow but now is as good a time as any." Victor looks at him and says "you want me to absorb your mafia?" and my jaw drops. "Yes I do with one condition I still get to come to the galas and if you two get married I get to be invited" Francisco says and my face turns beet red "I did think there was something between you and Ryder but I see the undeniable fire between you and Victor my dear I've seen it since you danced at the gala" he says and I can't find the words to say. Victor reaches out to shake Francisco's hand "we have a deal but I have a condition of my own" he says and adds "you keep 10 men as protection." Francisco shakes his hand "deal" he says.
I sit there stunned at the turn of events "Francisco?" I ask and he looks at me "yes Rae?" I look at Victor and he nods "are you okay? I know you were injured on Monday" I say and he smiles "I've had worse my dear it was just a small wound but enough to know it was my time to walk away while I still have a life to live" he says and laughs "besides when an 18 year old girl can kill Alejandro and kick the ass of my second in command and Deuce you know it's time to hang up your hat" he says and hugs me "this is a good thing besides I have a house in Hawaii I have every intention of spending my days in." I laugh and we say our farewells after the contract is signed and copied. We head home and still unable to wrap my head around it I ask "did you know he wanted to walk away?" I ask and he shakes his head "no but I had a feeling it wasn't far off I mean he is 60 years old and the oldest leader currently" Victor says and then corrects himself "was." I look at Victor "are you okay with this?" I say and he nods "yeah I am he is one of my oldest friends and if he wants me to absorb his mafia I will" he sighs and runs a hand down his face. I lean over and pull him to me and hold him "I will help you however I can I know this won't be an easy transition for his mafia" I say and Victor wraps an arm around my waist "we may need a fireball to help confirm their loyalty" he jokes and I laugh. "Gladly" I chuckle. He maneuvers so he is laying with his head on my lap for the ride home. "When you're healed I'd love to see how you train and we can train together" he says and I smile "I'd like that although I may warn you when I get pissed off it may be best to leave me alone" I say and he grabs my hand "I will never leave you alone babe if you're mad I want to be your rock and help you calm down" he says seriously and I grin at him. "You know for the cruelest mafia leader you're a big softie" I joke and he laughs "only for you my love" he says.