Episode 202: The Truth Comes Out

Two more families had been brutally murdered in different parts of Mystic Falls—a grim distraction orchestrated by Janus to keep Damon occupied and away from Elena.

Days passed, and Janus felt his bond with Elena growing stronger while his manipulative control over Caroline remained unchallenged. Confident in his dominance, he believed everything was under his command.

However, Janus overlooked one critical detail: the person who truly cared about Caroline.

Alaric began to notice Janus's increasing attention toward both Caroline and Elena. While the two women seemed oblivious to Janus's subtle manipulations, Alaric was far from fooled. He had tried several times to warn Caroline, though not directly accusing Janus. Instead, his words danced around the subject, hoping she'd catch on to Janus's deception. But Caroline remained captivated, too charmed by Janus to see the truth.

This time, though, Alaric was determined to break through the illusion.

Janus stood outside Damon and Elena's room at the Salvatore Boarding School, his knuckles grazing the door before giving a soft knock. Inside, a faint rustling could be heard before the door creaked open, revealing Elena with baby Lily in her arms. The warm glow of a bedside lamp illuminated the serene scene.

"Elena," Janus greeted, his voice smooth and eerie. "I didn't mean to disturb you."

Elena smiled, though a flicker of surprise crossed her face. "Stefan, come in. I was just feeding Lily," she said, lifting the bottle slightly.

Janus stepped inside, watching as Elena settled back on the bed, cradling Lily with gentle care.

"She's truly beautiful," Janus remarked, his eyes fixed on the infant. "Lucky for her, she takes after you."

Elena chuckled softly. "And what's that supposed to mean?"

Silence fell between them, comfortable yet laced with tension. Janus stepped closer, his gaze softening as it locked on hers. "Elena... do you ever think about us? About what we once had?"

Elena's smile faded, her focus shifting to Lily. "Stefan, that was a long time ago. We've both moved on."

"But if you could go back," Janus pressed, his tone carrying a weight that made her heart skip. "If you could change everything... would you?"

Elena's breath caught in her throat, stunned by the question. "Stefan, why would you ask something like that? I'm with Damon. We've made our choices."

Janus's gaze darkened as he moved closer. "But what if you could undo everything? Would you?"

Elena shook her head, clearly uncomfortable with the intensity in his eyes. "I... I don't know what you want me to say. We ended things for a reason. We've chosen our paths."

Outside the room, Alaric paused mid-step, overhearing the familiar voices. Curiosity and unease tugged at him, drawing him closer. The words he overheard chilled him, especially when Janus spoke again.