Chapter: 44

Ryan's POV

The night was dark and I had just fallen asleep when Rose's call came through shattering my dream into two. I woke up sweating to her call as I was having a nightmare of Veronica falling off from some cliff. I saw how I tried so hard to hold on to her but she slipped away from my hands.

I have had a slight crush on Veronica since I have known Rose but I have never really expressed this to anyone. Especially not to Rose. Yes she might be my closest friend, someone whom I have known all my life but she quite literally also is my partner in crime. She would never ever, even in her wildest dreams trust me around Veronica.

Not to mention how much she is obsessed with keeping her kin people closer to her heart. Rose is fiercely loyal, protects her own feelings and thoughts like a fortress. She is very much over protective of people she loves, and swears on her life to protect them. And tonight was no different.

The second I placed the receiver over my ear, her ragged breath crashed through the speaker as she spoke way too fast wanting to know about some address. My thoughts immediately ventured towards Veronica. The thought of her getting hurt was something I don't think I ever will be able to recover from. But this world where we live in, its either kill or get killed.

The second Rose mentioned how this call was about Eran, I felt guilty when I felt relief coursing through my veins. I was aware how much she must have been panicking since it was Eran himself, who was missing.

After making a bunch of calls to Mr. George, who had direct connections with the call centres, I could trace where Eran was and quickly forwarded the location to Rose. After hanging up the call with her I could feel my migraine starting to slowly arrive, as my pulse thumped around my forehead.

That's why I need you, and if you are not able to trace him, ill make sure you disappear from the ends of this earth.

Her words of fire lingered at the back of my mind as chills gathered on my skin. I ran a frustrated hand through the locks of my hair as my eyes traveled into the distance. A distance, where I was standing at the edge of a precipice, seven years ago

Seven years ago

My eyes lingered in between Rose and Mr. Aaron, a billionaire, who looked as helpless as a deer in some lion's mouth. His sleek black Mercedes stared at us with flames igniting from it's mighty engines. The beautiful vehicle has lost it's grandeur, and was replaced with orange and red flames surrounding it, with dark smoke like clouds hovering over it.

Our plan to corner him was brilliantly executed. Her usual demeanor had changed. And it was replaced with something dark, that I cannot even recognize. She held her gun with a steady hand as if she is such a professional, but given our past record over the few months, I would say yes.

Her knuckles had turned into a gloomy pale white as she held it directly at Aaron's forehead. His hands were tied and his eyes were gauging out with red terror as fresh tears illuminating counterfeit regression glistened in them.

Mr. Aaron Wender, this great man has been tormenting her since forever. Today, the game was about to be over, the last player in this game was about to fall. She will finally attain the peace she has been looking for since forever. Rose had hunted down each of them since months, plucking their lives as if flowers from a garden, and ripping their heads off in her twisted game of revenge.

I should feel so much happier for her, but there's something in me which feels numb and strangely paranoid of what is about to unfold. I stood there, not being able to shake the feeling of utter dread nestling in the pit of my stomach. This was different.

This was personal

The air seemed so heavy around me that I could swear that I could almost taste the metallic smell of blood lurking in the air. I have watched Rose commit multiple crimes, she was cold, she was very precise and clean. Never left any traces behind. But tonight, there was something abnormal in her beautiful eyes, something that shook to me to my core.

Her thin fingers hovered over the trigger, her eyes solely focused on Aaron. Aaron continued to shake under the mighty gun. The sight was sad. Tears streaming down his cruel face, as he continued to beg for mercy. Rose didn't even flinch, Aaron's eyes reflected fear whereas Rose's reflected fury.

"Please, listen to me, Rose" pleaded a desperate Aaron. "they.. they made me do it.."

The second the sentence left his mouth, I could almost feel fury radiating from Rose as she yelled, and I flinched, my heart in my mouth.

"Shut up!" her voice echoed throughout the area as sharp wind wafted around us, and chills laid down on my arms.

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, almost getting out of my rib cage. I was inches away from stopping her and to remind her that there was no coming back from this.

Rose cocked the gun as Aaron flinched. Rose's eyes were locked on him, unblinking, as if she were staring into his very soul. As if she could almost sense the fake plight in those betraying eyes. For a moment, I could almost bet that she might even let him go, but then..

She pulled the trigger.

The gunshot echoed through the area as Aaron's body jerked violently before collapsing to the ground. Blood pooled around his head, a dark, crimson stain that spread out like a grotesque halo.

For a moment, there was nothing but silence, as if the world itself was holding its breath. Rose stood there, her arm still outstretched, the gun smoking in her hand. Her face was blank, devoid of any emotion, as if the act had drained her of everything.