7

4 Months Earlier

I stood in the hallway, frozen. My feet felt like they were glued to the floor, and my heart was pounding so hard it had begun to hurt. How could I move when everything inside me was screaming to turn around and run? But I couldn't-I had to do this. I had to try and fix things, even if it was too late.

I lifted my hand to knock, but before I could, the door swung open.

    Alec was standing there, his face shifting from confusion to frustration in the blink of an eye

Alec was standing there, his face shifting from confusion to frustration in the blink of an eye. He was holding his art supplies tightly against his chest, like they were the only things keeping him grounded.

"Lucas?" he said, his voice edged with annoyance.

"Alec," I stammered, my voice barely a whisper. "I... I needed to talk to you. I have to try and fix this."

Alec's eyes narrowed, his expression hardening as he looked at me. The silence stretched between us, heavy and suffocating. Then, he shook his head, his voice flat and emotionless. "There's nothing to fix."

He brushed past me, his shoulder knocking into mine as he stormed down the hallway. Panic surged through me, and I spun around, rushing after him.

"Alec, please!" My voice cracked, desperate. I couldn't let him walk away, not like this. "Please, just listen to me!"

He didn't stop. He pushed through the door and headed straight for the parking lot, his strides long and angry. I followed, my heart hammering in my chest. Tears burned at the corners of my eyes, but I blinked them back, refusing to let them fall.

"Alec, I'm sorry!" I shouted, my voice hoarse. I felt a lump forming in my throat, the words choking me as they came out.

Finally, Alec stopped. His back was to me, his shoulders tense. Slowly, he turned around, and when his eyes met mine, they were unreadable.

I felt the tears welling up again, blurring my vision. "Alec... please," I whispered. But his expression didn't soften. If anything, it grew colder. "No."