Dilemma

The next day I met with Jackie in my office to go over some of the reports on some of our clients' accounts that I have been sharing with her.  She is the Managing Director of the review department.  I asked her to see some of the reports from a few months back and I looked at John's accounts, and I saw one account that stood out from the rest that did seem a little inflated.  I didn't let Jackie know that I saw it.  Shouldn't she have control over her department and making sure that all T's and dots are checked.  Knowing that now, I started being cautious in my work and other work-related activities.

The Previous firm that I worked for handled business unprofessionally and gave its clients a lot of misinformation, which created a toxic environment for clients and employees.  I had to leave and start over elsewhere and especially away from this one colleague that was down my back about everything in the firm. 

I met with John to get more information regarding his problem and for myself, since I didn't want the project to be mishandled.

"Hey John, I need to share some insights with you on our project."

"Ok Emily, what's your direction on this?"

"John, I think from now until the project is finished, is to have transparency on how we handle our clients' accounts; meaning detail to detail, you know, so we can keep track of exactly what is taking place."

"Whoa, Emily why the sudden need for transparency?"

"Are you kidding me! You told me that you had an issue with one of your clients and I was put with you to work on this project and you're asking me why the sudden need for this, I think you should understand."

"Alright, alright you seem angry about this."

"At this point, I think you should be more than angry about this." I responded.

"Emily, I am angry, but you came into my office pissed off and I told you that this was a sensitive matter.

As soon as he said that Jackie came by and asked what was going on. "Oh nothing, we're just discussing our project." I said to detour her.

"By the way Jackie, have you updated the CEO on our project as of yet?" I asked.

"No, I haven't.  I just gave him the reports on my roster that is already completed, unless you have some information that you want me to submit to him," she responded.

"Thank you, Jackie, no, we are not quite done yet," I said to her.

"Thank you Jackie, it's so nice to see you again and you are looking ever so nice today," John said teasingly.

"I'm just going to ignore your sarcasm today because you know better.  I guess I'll be seeing you in the meeting," she said.

"What meeting?" We both asked surprisingly.

"The one that the CEO, Alex sent out, hmm, about ten minutes ago," she said looking at her watch.

"In that sense let's go to the conference room," I said.

We all arrived in the conference room to see Alex and the other staffers sitting at the table with Alex having a frown on his face.

"Why are you late? Don't bother to answer that. Please, join us," he said.

"As the other partners and staffers know that I will be retiring in two months, we will be conducting business as usual until we are able to find a replacement.  I can't divulge all the aspects of the transition until everything is set in place, so I will need all your cooperation for a smooth transition.  Please inform me of the status of your projects and any reports and accounts that need to be reviewed. I hope we are all in understanding.  Emails will be going out from me regarding my next meeting.  Thank you for your attention to this matter," he said ending on a short note.

Back in John's office I decided to continue my conversation about the project and the problem he is having.  He looked more relieved since the meeting, but I insisted that I would give it a try and speak to him despite my idea. 

"So how are you feeling since we last spoke John?"

"I feel a little relieved, you know you have to take things as they come," he said with his hands on his waist.

"This, suggests the guy that was so stressed out over his accounts."

"Yeah, can you believe it Emily? I just have to keep optimistic about my accounts from here on out."

Since John seemed 'OK' about his accounts, there is one less thing that I have to worry about.  At that same time, I got a text from Mark to meet with him at Café Omar.  Lord knows I needed a break from this work week's stress.