27

It was early in the morning when a phone ringing breaks the calm silence of the bedroom. Scarlett, who was curled up facing the centre of the large bed with Aurora nestled closely against her bare chest, merely stirs at the sound. Olivia however, rouses, lifting her head off of the pillow in confusion.

When it became clear she wasn't hearing things, she reaches for her phone and squints at the sight that greets her. It was Maria. The head of the care facility that some little ones get taken to after they're given their classification. Extremely confused as to why she was calling so early in the morning; or why she was calling at all in fact, she kicks off the covers, presses accept and brings the phone to her ear as she quietly leaves the room.

"Hello?" She questions, squinting at the bright light that greets her as she makes it to the kitchen. The time on the oven says it was just past eight in the morning. Mhh. Not as early as she thought.

"Is this Olivia?" Maria's somewhat familiar voice asks.

Olivia hums an acknowledgement as she grabs a mug from the cabinet and places it onto the coffee maker. After just a moment, she grabs another mug for Scarlett and places it next to her own on the counter. "Yeah, this is she. Can I help you?"

"Yes. We've had a little one brought in this morning with some peculiar test results."

Olivia furrows her brows. It was way too early for Maria to be this vague with her. "Okay?" The confusion was evident in her tone.

"She was matched with you. And Scarlett." The woman responds, and Olivia freezes midway through her search in the refrigerator for something to eat. What?

"But we were already matched with Aurora." Was all she could bring herself to say, closing the refrigerator door, appetite suddenly gone.

"I must admit it is unusual for someone to be matched with two little ones, but it's not unheard of," Maria starts, understanding Olivia's confusion. "We haven't told her about her match yet, and there is another opportunity for her to take the test again to be matched with someone else, but it's against our policy, and the law, in fact, to not let you know."

Olivia let's out a heavy sigh as she runs her hand tiredly over her face. Another little. She and Scarlett, had been matched with another little. Could they cope with two? Did they even want two? How would Aurora react? They'd only just got her settled. Would it be fair?

"Olivia?"

"I...I don't even know what to say." She eventually murmurs as she leans against the marble counter top, the stone cold against her bare arms.

Maria hums in acknowledgment, "I understand. Like I said, nothing has been confirmed just yet so take some time to think it over. Talk to your wife, your baby. Don't feel obligated to agree just because you feel you have to."

Olivia sighs again, "Okay. I'll...okay. I'll call you back soon."

"Take care Olivia." Maria speaks before the dial tone fills Olivia's ears. With not the faintest idea what to do, she finishes off both hers and Scarlett's coffee's before grabbing both mugs and beginning to make her way upstairs. Pushing open the bedroom door with her foot, she was greeted with the sight of a half awake Scarlett sitting up in bed with Aurora nursing steadily in her arms.

"Good morning," Olivia murmurs with a tight smile, pressing a fond kiss to the corner of her wife's lips before placing her coffee on the night stand next to her. "Hi pumpkin." She absentmindedly greets the little one too, running her now free hand through her hair. 

Aurora simply grunts in response as she continues to steadily nurse, Scarlett smirking slightly in amusement as she watches her wife return to her side of the bed with her coffee in grasp. She couldn't quite decipher the look on her face, and it made her feel a little uneasy.

"Everything okay?" Scarlett wonders, reaching a hand over and placing it on Olivia's thigh, giving the bare skin a soft squeeze. Olivia hums as she places her hand atop of her wife's own and trailing her fingers over the warm skin.

"Maria called." Olivia glances Scarlett's way as she takes a cautious sip of coffee.

Scarlett instinctively tightens her grasp around Aurora.

"Not about the baby." Olivia was quick to sooth, and Scarlett feels herself letting out a subconscious breath if relief. She does not, however, loosen her grasp, her hand slipping up the back of the little ones shirt and trialing her fingers over the soft, warm skin. Aurora sighs contently against her as she continues suckling, her warm breath hitting the skin Scarlett's chest.

"Then what is it?" Scarlett questions, tilting her head to the side in confusion.

Olivia hesitates for a second as her eyes flicker down to a content Aurora, "We were matched with another little."

Scarlett's mouth opens, but no words escape. They were matched with another little?

"It's not a definite decision. We can say so. Apparently it's against their policy or something to not tell us." Olivia shrugs, dropping her head against the headboard of the bed with a quiet thud.

"I don't..." Scarlett trails off, lifting Aurora over her shoulder to start patting her back. The little one grunts unhappily, but doesn't fight her.

Olivia nods, "I know. I get it. But this conversation involves little miss too," she gestures to Aurora who was now drooling against Scarlett's shoulder as she suckles on her fingers. "and I'd rather not talk about it without her." She finishes her coffee and sets the cup on her nightstand, holding her arms out for Aurora so Scarlett could do the same.

Her wife hands Aurora her without question, Olivia pressing a tender kiss to her head in greeting as she cradles her against her chest. Aurora coos in content, tiny hand fisting the material of her shirt.

"Well," Scarlett sighs as she pushes away the blankets and climbs out of bed, "don't we have quite the day ahead of us." She tries to joke, and Olivia's lips quirk up in amusement.

"Indeed we do baby. Indeed we do."

**

Thoughts??

Don't forget to comment and vote telling me what you think!