Chapter 3

The door was pushed open with a crash. Zhao Weiya heard the noise and immediately ran down from the bed, not even bothering to put on her shoes properly. Zhijiao followed behind her, wrapped in a bright red coat.

Zhao Weiran, still crying, reached out to grab her hand but was pushed away.

Zhao Weiya seized the person who had come, asking in disbelief, "Dazhuang's wife, what did you just say?"

Dazhuang's wife cried even louder, gasping for breath, "My cousin just came back from the mine and said it collapsed. My husband Dazhuang... wuwuwu, he went to the mine today. Sister, we must go quickly!"

Zhao Weiya's vision blurred. Dazhuang was at the mine? Her husband Shi Qin was also working at the mine today. Zhao Weiya had no time to think further, quickly putting on her shoes and running after her. Zhijiao dressed properly and handed her brother, Shihonghong, to Li Shengnan. "Sister, watch the house for me."

With that, she also dashed off. The mine was located at the back of the village's mountain, and Zhijiao didn't expect such an incident. Her heart raced with worry.

According to the book, this incident was never mentioned. Zhijiao thought perhaps it was because their family was just a side character, and the author had left it out.

No matter what, she was extremely anxious. She couldn't bear to see her loved ones suffer or lose them. Her parents had passed away early in her past life, and having found them in this life, she couldn't bear the thought of losing them again.

When the three arrived at the back of the mountain, the mining site was already in chaos. People were rescuing those they could, and directing others who were organizing the effort. Zhao Weiya searched frantically, even losing her shoes in the process.

Zhijiao picked up the shoes and saw Dazhuang's wife crying loudly. She had only been married to Dazhuang for a little over a year and had not yet had children. They had planned to have a baby this year, but now faced this disaster.

A miner, covered in black dust, was running around when he heard a familiar voice. Turning around, he saw that it was indeed the person he recognized!

Dazhuang's wife was suddenly startled by a touch. She stopped crying and saw her presumed dead husband standing in front of her, looking somewhat annoyed. He stood with his hands on his hips and gestured, "How dangerous this mine is! Why are you here, you wasteful woman?!"

Dazhuang frowned, the rumbling sounds around them continued. He waved his arm and shouted, "Go, go back home quickly!"

Overwhelmed by both grief and joy, Dazhuang's wife immediately collapsed onto her knees. Dazhuang pulled her up and, despite his chest aching, tried to comfort her, "Don't worry, your man has a long life."

Indeed, he was fortunate to be the last person to escape from the mine. If not for someone pulling him out, he might have been a casualty.

It was impossible not to feel scared. Zhang's son, who had spoken with him in the morning, was not so lucky and was still trapped underground, his fate uncertain.

Zhao Weiya and Zhijiao searched through the miners but couldn't find Shi Qin. Zhao Weiya, her voice hoarse from calling, held Zhijiao's hand, trembling all over. "Baby, have you seen your dad?"

Zhijiao shook her head, unable to speak. A disturbing thought lingered in her mind, but she dared not entertain it. Surely, Shi Qin would not be dead.

Suddenly, her eyes brightened, and she pointed to the side. "Isn't that Uncle Dazhuang!"

Zhao Weiya, filled with renewed hope, hurried towards Dazhuang and his wife. Seeing them in tears, Dazhuang immediately understood their fears and quickly reassured them, "Sister, Jiaojiao, don't worry! Your husband is safe. He's organizing the rescue."

Zhao Weiya was afraid she had misheard, but after confirming several times, the huge weight of worry lifted from the mother and daughter. They hugged each other, crying and laughing with relief.

Dazhuang's wife looked at them, wiping her tears, feeling both amused and heartbroken. Dazhuang then bowed deeply to the mother and daughter, staying in that position for a long time.

Zhao Weiya hurried to help him up, puzzled. "What are you doing?"

Both Dazhuang and his wife were confused as well.

Dazhuang sighed, still shaken, "I'm thanking you for saving my life. If it weren't for Shi Qin pulling me out in a critical moment, I would..."

He wiped his tears, smearing his face with them. Dazhuang's wife then realized Shi Qin was the one who had saved her husband. Grateful, she looked at Zhao Weiya and Zhijiao. She was straightforward and promised, "Sister, from now on, you are our benefactors. We will repay you no matter what. We will come to your home to thank you properly in a few days."

Zhao Weiya and Zhijiao repeatedly waved their hands, saying anyone would have done the same. They then asked Dazhuang for Shi Qin's exact location to find him.

The collapse site was busy with machinery and personnel. Shi Qin, familiar with the situation, had been busy for an hour or so. Everyone knew he had just come up and was afraid he might collapse, so they advised him to rest on the side.

Holding a porcelain cup filled with hot water, Shi Qin drank a sip, feeling warmth spread through him. He sat on the ground, feeling the soreness of his body after such intense exertion.