Chapter 14: Fighting Fire with Fire

Zhao Weiya went out for a bit and came back, saying that a lot of people had arrived at Liu Qingyang's place.

At first, Zhi Jiaojiao didn't think much of it; she figured maybe Liu Qingyang had died, and they were there to visit the family.

But when she saw this group of people, carrying shovels, rakes, and hoes, marching towards the village entrance, she suddenly realized—they were gearing up for a fight.

She quietly followed them, not expecting to see Zhi Rongrong there too. From their conversation, she gathered that they were planning to corner Jiang Heyan.

Zhi Jiaojiao could only hope Jiang Heyan would stay in town for a couple more days, but to her surprise, he had come back so early.

Among the group were both elderly and young people, all shouting for Jiang Heyan to get out of the car.

Jiang Heyan rolled down the window slightly and said, "Who are you people? If you don't leave, I'll call the police."

An older woman plopped down on the ground and began wailing, "Jiang Heyan, you heartless man! You killed our Qingyang and now you think you can just settle it with money? It's not going to be that easy!"

So, these were Liu Qingyang's relatives.

Jiang Heyan's expression turned grim. Among the three miners who died, Liu Qingyang's family was in the worst situation.

Liu Qingyang was an alcoholic, and when he drank, he became violent. His wife had left a few years back because of it.

His father had died early, leaving only his mother, with no siblings to support her.

When Jiang Heyan visited Liu Qingyang's house, he clearly explained Liu Qingyang's responsibility in the accident, and they had even signed a liability agreement.

Now it seemed they were going back on their word to extort more money.

Jiang Heyan was no longer worried. Despite the old woman's claims that she didn't want money but justice, her true intention was to get more money.

As long as they wanted money, they wouldn't actually hurt him.

With this in mind, Jiang Heyan got out of the car. The crowd stepped back, giving him space.

Zhi Jiaojiao widened her eyes. Why did he get out? The village head hadn't arrived yet.

She watched the group warily. There hadn't been any other incidents in the village lately, and the mine accident was the only big event. If that were the case, could the culprit in her dream—the one who disrupted the "Sending Away the Plague God" ceremony—be one of the miners' family members?

The more Zhi Jiaojiao thought about it, the more it seemed possible. Maybe the culprit was among them.

Just as she picked up a large rock, ready to intervene at any moment, the village head finally showed up, albeit late.

Instead of dealing with Jiang Heyan, who was surrounded, the old village head frowned at the sight of Zhi Jiaojiao holding a big rock. "What are you doing with such a big rock?"

Hearing his voice, Liu Qingyang's relatives cautiously turned around to see Zhi Jiaojiao standing behind them with a rock, looking as if she was ready to throw it at any moment.

Feeling embarrassed, Zhi Jiaojiao quickly tossed the rock aside and kicked it a bit further away. Then she stretched her arms out and said, "Nothing, village head. I'm just exercising."

The woman who had been rolling on the ground suddenly looked at Zhi Jiaojiao with fury in her eyes. "Zhi Jiaojiao, are you in cahoots with this murderer?"