Chapter 16: Energetic

As soon as Zhijiao rushed home, it was like she was escaping for her life. Jiang Heyan didn't even get a chance to say a word to her.

He wanted to mention that he had arranged for someone to bring the watch.

But Zhijiao was already running faster than a rabbit.

Jiang Heyan hesitated; since they were already at the doorstep, maybe he should visit Uncle and Aunt?

However, Old Village Head suddenly sneezed. Seeing the old man with his cotton-padded coat all ripped up, Jiang Heyan felt a pang of sympathy. "Please, make yourself comfortable. We're heading back now."

Zhijiao burst into the house, first closing the door and locking it.

She then went inside and saw Zhizhong sitting on the kang (a traditional heated bed). Zhijiao noticed that the quilt on him looked somewhat familiar. Zhizhong's hands, covered in dirt and sticky from eating roasted sweet potatoes, were about to brush against the quilt.

Zhijiao quickly moved him aside. "Why are you using my quilt? Use your own."

Zhizhong proudly wiggled his finger. "Sister told me what to do."

Zhijiao was annoyed. She had hoped he would bring reinforcements, but instead, he brought back the village head just to eat sweet potatoes.

There was a knocking sound at the door. Zhijiao instantly became alert. Had they come back already?

Zhao Weiya, who had been wiping Zhizhong's hands, was about to open the door, puzzled as to why it was locked.

Zhijiao grabbed her mother's hand. "Don't go. My aunt is here again. With all those bags, I just had a falling-out with them."

Zhijiao felt a bit guilty, unsure if her mother would be upset with her actions.

Instead of opening the door, Zhao Weiya sat back down. "Great, I was always too embarrassed. Now I feel relieved."

Zhao Weiya regretted the decision deeply. The job would have been better sold off from the beginning. Not only did Zhao Weiran show no gratitude, but her constant complaints were relentless.

Aside from everything else, during their stay, they had angered all the neighbors and relatives.

Always in conflict and gossiping, Zhao Weiya remembered when Dazhuang and his wife visited. She openly criticized his wife for not managing her husband well and even suggested Dazhuang was seeing a widow, which was completely untrue.

Despite seeing Dazhuang's wife's displeasure, Zhao Weiya continued her gossip, resulting in Dazhuang's wife returning to her parents' home.

Zhao Weiya felt ashamed for Dazhuang, but Zhao Weiran was smug, claiming she had saved Dazhuang from his "fat and ugly" wife.

When Dazhuang's brother-in-law came to inquire, he almost beat Zhao Weiran up.

In the end, Zhao Weiya had to mediate and explain that Dazhuang was merely helping a weak widow by fetching water quickly so he could return home and help his own wife.

This incident nearly caused a divorce between Dazhuang and his wife, all thanks to Zhao Weiran's meddling.

Since then, the villagers had avoided the Zhijiao family. Zhao Weiya was miserable.

Now, she was relieved to be free from Zhao Weiran's troublemaking.

The knocking stopped outside, and the barking of Dahuang (a dog) in the yard made Zhijiao worry.

She ran outside to see Zhishun had already climbed over the wall.

Zhijiao and Zhishun stared at each other. Zhishun looked puzzled. "Why didn't you open the door? I've been knocking for ages."