Chapter 4

Due to the mine incident, work had to be stopped, and workers were given an early New Year's break. Zhi Qin was gloomy, worried about when the mine would reopen. Meanwhile, Zhi Jiaojiao and her mother were relieved that Zhi Qin was safe and no longer had to worry.

As they approached home, they heard Zhi Rongrong's loud cries from a distance. Zhao Weiya quickened her pace, only to find Zhao Weiran inside, gossiping openly.

She cracked sunflower seeds loudly, carelessly spitting the shells onto the ground, and said, "Shengnan, what will happen to your aunt's family? With the mine collapse, there will surely be casualties. Your uncle isn't a superman. Even if he survives, he might be injured. Their family will be in trouble."

Her words were met with Li Shengnan's rebuke and Zhi Rongrong's cries. Little Rongrong, with clenched fists, scolded her, "How dare you say my father will die?"

Zhao Weiran pinched the little boy's cheek, saying, "Ungrateful child, if your family can't make it, you'll have to rely on your aunt. I'll take you in and make you my son if necessary."

"Mom! What nonsense are you saying in front of the child?" Li Shengnan stood up angrily, trying to take Zhi Rongrong outside, who, not understanding, kicked and hit her. Li Shengnan, unfazed, said, "Let's go out and play."

When she opened the door, she saw her aunt and uncle standing outside. Her face flushed with embarrassment, unsure of how much they had heard.

Zhi Rongrong, escaping from Li Shengnan's arms, clung to Zhi Qin's leg and pointed at Zhao Weiran, crying, "Dad, she said you're dead and that you don't want me anymore. Are you going to abandon me?"

Zhi Rongrong's tears made him look like a forsaken puppy.

Zhi Qin wiped his tears without saying much. As her brother-in-law, he didn't want to scold Zhao Weiran directly.

However, Zhao Weiya had no such hesitation. She put her hands on her hips, ready to confront Zhao Weiran. Zhao Weiran, feeling intimidated, stood up and tried to explain, "I was just speaking out of concern. I didn't mean it. I thought if something happened, I should prepare for the worst. Sister, don't blame me. I was just trying to help."

Zhao Weiya's anger flared up immediately.

"For my sake, are you spouting nonsense here? For my sake, are you cursing us? You're not a child anymore. How can someone your age speak so thoughtlessly?" Zhao Weiya didn't hold back at all. "We're dealing with a major family issue and just want some peace. While it's still daylight, you should go home before it gets dark and the roads become difficult."

Zhao Weiya was clearly trying to chase them away. Zhi Jiaojiao thought that even if Zhao Weiran didn't want to leave, the main character would definitely be too embarrassed to insist on staying.

But this time she was wrong. Both mother and daughter stood there without moving.

"What's this, are you still lingering?" Zhao Weiya said, pretending to move forward to drag them out.

Zhi Qin took Zhi Rongrong to the courtyard to avoid the awkwardness and give the sisters some space. As soon as the brother-in-law left, Zhao Weiran's tears started flowing. She tearfully grabbed Zhao Weiya's hand, "Sister, I'm not going back. Li Xiongwei, has someone else now and doesn't want me anymore. I..I Have no place at that home now."

Zhi Jiaojiao was genuinely shocked. No way, her uncle was such a nice person, not the kind to have inappropriate behavior.

Zhao Weiran's words had some credibility. Zhi Jiaojiao turned to Li Shengnan, "Sister, is what my aunt said true?"