The Unknown Village

Shyam stepped off the rickety bus, feeling the dust of the long journey settle into the creases of his skin.

The village of Nandgram was quieter than he had imagined, with only the occasional crow cawing to break the silence.

He had taken this job as a software engineer at the rural IT center to escape the claustrophobia of city life, but the stark contrast was more than he had bargained for.

Once at the modest home that would serve as his temporary abode, he was greeted by his roommate, a local man named Ramu

Ramu had a wide smile that never seemed to leave his face, and eyes that sparkled with the secrets of the village.

It took him a few months but he settled down in his new home. The job became more natural to him, coming back home and taking. A long walk after dinner was their everyday habbit.

As they walked, the sound of drums and laughter grew louder, drawing them to a vibrant scene near the temple. Shyam guy turned to Ramu with a curious glance.

"What's going on? The temple is so crowded."

"It's Navratri, the seventh night. We're celebrating Kali puja."

"Ah, nice! Let's go inside and join in. It's always a great atmosphere."

"Absolutely! Let's go. The garba is about to start."

As they climbed the stairs, the sounds of laughter, music, and clinking dandiya sticks grew louder.

Ramu's smile grew wider as he began to recount tales of the king's valor and generosity. "Govardhan is a just ruler," he said, his eyes lighting up with admiration.

"He is strong and fair, and his wife, Queen Sumitra, is said to be as beautiful as a lotus flower. They were married when he was 25, and she brought not only her grace but also a sense

"Who's that couple praying to the goddess? They look like royalty." Shyam asked

"Ah, you mean the king and queen? That's Govardhan and Sumitra, the rulers of Nandgram. They're devout followers of Goddess Durga and come to the temple every year during Navratri."

Here's the continuation of the conversation:

Ramu: "Yes, Govardhan and Sumitra are a lovely couple. But despite their royal status, they've been facing a challenge. They've been married for 15 years, but still haven't been blessed with a child."

"Oh, that's sad. They must be really worried. Are they seeking any medical help or...?"

"They've tried everything, from top doctors to spiritual healers. But nothing seems to be working. That's why they're here, praying to Goddess Durga, seeking her blessings for a child."

"I see. Well, maybe their devotion will be rewarded. The goddess is known to grant wishes to those who worship her with a pure heart."

"Exactly! And Govardhan and Sumitra are the epitome of devotion and faith. I'm sure their prayers will be answered someday."