Unwanted guests

"I am telling you, it is because your bra is tight for your size", Shyam said on the phone instructing someone on what bra to wear.

"But bhaiya, I just bought them last month"

"Then buy some new ones, and a little bit looser"

If you have told shyam  half a year ago that he would be guiding his little sister on what type of bra she should use or giving her makeup instruction on the phone, he would have punched you in the face.

But 5 months after the Diwali incident, the bond between siblings grew even stronger.

Now Diksha shares almost every little thing with Shyam, her secrets, her hobbies and the little things that bother her like back pain, mood swings and period cramps.

"Priya bhabhi also said the same thing, but maa said the new ones will make me look characterless"
The mere mention of his mother's name was like a dagger to Shyam's heart, summoning a tidal wave of emotions that threatened to engulf him. His throat constricted, choking back the words that longed to escape.

"Does she... ever speak of me?" he stammered, the vulnerability he had kept hidden for so long now exposed.

The pain of his parents' rejection still lingered, a festering wound that refused to heal. He had begged for their forgiveness, promising to conform to their expectations, to suppress the true essence of his being, all in the hope of reconciliation.

But they had turned their backs on him, refusing even to acknowledge his existence, let alone meet him in person or through the lens of a camera. The ache of their abandonment still haunted him, a constant reminder of the love and acceptance he had been denied

"Okay, I am getting an important call. Will call you later", Diksha said and tried hanging the call in a hurry.

"Wait! Is that 'Important call' from Ramu", shyam's voice changed from caring elder sister to protective elder brother in a second

"Are you guys still dating?"

"Ramesh is a good guy bhaiya, he even stopped smoking after you warned him"

"But you are 20 and he is 27"

"And your husband is a 40 year old man, But I never complained about that"

"That's differ-... Hello Diksha, hello", the call ended abruptly making shyam even more frustrated than he already was.

"Little sisters, they always think that they know everything", A sarcastic voice came from behind.

Shyam turned around and saw a smug expression on Sumitra's face. The pregnancy made her already divine face even more glowing, even Shyam has started being jealous of her.

"When did I say no to you"

Sumitra gave him a side eye, "Didn't you stop me from eating the Momos that Govardhan brought for me"

"And who complained about her acid reflux all night yesterday?" Shyam had already a reply coming "And we have to visit the doctor as well about the baby".

"I am really scared soumya, baby has really faint heart beat doctors are also said there is too much risk at my age"

Shyam went to her and hugged her tight, "Govardhan ji and I won't let anything bad happen to the baby"

"I know thats why I love you my sweet sister" Soumya said keeping shyams feminine hands on her hands.

"Govardhan will take me to the doctor, you just get changed for priya, isn't she coming today"

"We are meeting in a hotel, I just have to change back to my male clothes"

"But doesnt she accepted you as you are"

"Yes but even I want to meet her as her future husband not Rani somuyavati"

The soft knock at the door broke the silence, and Shyam's eyes lit up with anticipation. "Ah, that must be Govardhan ji," he thought, assuming the king had arrived to take Sumitra to her scheduled doctor's appointment.

With a gentle nod, he instructed the maids to open the door, expecting to see Govardhan's familiar smile on the other side.

As the door creaked open, it revealed a family of 3, a woman who looked oddly familiar almost like the female version Govardhan just a little shorter and younger, her husband and a sweet  boy of 5 years

"Bhabhi!!!!! It's so good to see you", the woman said with really high pitched voice.

Sumitra tried her best to smile but her eyes betrayed an expression that shyam rarely saw, as if she would kill the woman standing in front of her.

"Good to see you too, Kavita... ",