Chapter 20: Using Patterns as Chess

The Practitioner's Market is located within the inner court of Tianxing Academy in Linzhou City. It was initially initiated and organized by Tianxing Academy to allow practitioners to exchange items they didn't need for those that were useful, thus enhancing themselves and collectively fighting against demonic beasts.

As time passed, the Practitioner's Market grew and expanded. Not only were Tianxing Academy's students involved, but many external practitioners also gathered there.

Nangong Wu walked through the market, immediately attracting a lot of attention.

"Miss, this is the third time we've visited Feng Tianxing. Will he meet with us?" The old man in a black robe and with a bald head, walking beside her, asked with a frown.

"I hope so," Nangong Wu sighed lightly.

"Feng Tianxing's temper is too peculiar. Even after you, Miss, have visited him three times, he has refused to see us. In my opinion, we should just capture him ourselves," the old man said.

"Long Bo, although Feng Tianxing's cultivation is not as high as yours, he has unique expertise in ancient runes. I've heard that he may have mastered a genuine ancient rune. If the rumors are true, capturing him won't be easy. If we provoke him, all our previous efforts might be in vain," Nangong Wu said, shaking her head slightly. "Furthermore, this is Tianxing Academy's territory. Feng Tianxing has a deep connection with the academy. If we proceed with such actions, it might bring us considerable trouble."

"If that's the case, then I can only inconvenience you, Miss."

"It's not really an inconvenience. Although Feng Tianxing's cultivation is not high, his mastery of ancient runes is unmatched in the South Domain. To have practiced ancient runes for nearly fifty years requires immense willpower. Such a person deserves our respect," Nangong Wu said softly. "If he could master three ancient runes, no one in the South Domain would be able to keep him."

The two of them arrived at a corner of the market, where the surroundings were filled with scattered old houses.

At one of these houses, Nangong Wu stopped and respectfully clasped her hands. "Senior Feng, Nangong Wu from the Xuanling Division requests an audience."

"It's you again, girl." A hoarse voice came from within the house. "This is the third time. I've already told you that I won't meet you. Just leave."

"Senior Feng, we really have important matters to discuss..." Nangong Wu said calmly.

"No more words," the voice from within the house said with displeasure.

"Feng Tianxing, my lady has personally come to invite you three times, which shows enough respect," the old man in the black robe said angrily. "Since you refuse to come out, I'll personally ask you to come out."

The old man in the black robe emitted an overwhelming aura of true essence. His withered hand reached out, and the surrounding airflow turned black, swirling like a storm with lightning crashing toward the house.

"Go away!" A single word was spat out from within the room.

Boom!

A thunderous sound erupted. A pattern with ancient principles appeared at the door, as if containing a devouring aura.

The black airflow was instantly swallowed. The old man's face turned pale as he staggered back two steps, his eyes filled with deep dread. He squeezed out the words, "Ancient rune..."

"Senior Feng, we apologize for any offense caused earlier. We hope you can forgive us," Nangong Wu said respectfully, bowing, and then she and the old man left.