The Rumor Mill

Chapter 3: The Rumor Mill

By the next morning, the entire school was buzzing with the news: Emma Wright and Jack Cooper were going to prom together. Emma hadn't even told anyone, but somehow, the rumor had spread like wildfire.

"Is it true?" Sophie asked breathlessly as she slid into the seat next to Emma in homeroom. "Did you really ask Jack to prom?"

Emma groaned, burying her face in her hands. "I didn't think it would get out so fast. We only talked yesterday!"

Sophie grinned, clearly delighted. "Well, everyone's talking about it. Some people think you're dating for real!"

Emma's stomach flipped. "What? No, it's not like that at all! We're just...we made a deal. I help him with his grades, he helps me with prom. That's it."

Sophie's grin widened. "Sure, that's what it starts as. But who knows? Maybe it'll turn into something more."

Emma shot her a look. "Sophie, this is just a fake relationship. There's nothing romantic about it."

"Yet," Sophie teased, winking.

Emma rolled her eyes but couldn't help the small smile tugging at her lips. Maybe this whole thing wouldn't be such a disaster after all.

But as she glanced across the room and caught Jack's eye, her smile faltered. He shot her a wink, causing her heart to skip a beat.

This fake relationship was already more complicated than she'd anticipated.

And thus begins the hilarious and heartwarming journey of Emma and Jack as they navigate their fake relationship, school gossip, and the looming prom night.