The Proposition

Chapter 2: The Proposition

Emma spent the rest of the day mulling over Sophie's suggestion. By the time the final bell rang, she still hadn't made up her mind. But as she walked to her locker, she found herself glancing around, searching for Jack.

"Looking for someone?" a voice drawled from behind her.

Emma jumped, spinning around to find Jack himself leaning casually against the lockers, a smirk on his face. His dark hair was tousled, as if he hadn't bothered to comb it, and his blue eyes twinkled with mischief.

"Uh, hey, Jack," Emma stammered, her heart racing. "I was just, um..."

"Just what?" he prompted, raising an eyebrow.

Emma took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves. "Actually, I was looking for you."

Jack's smirk widened. "Oh really? To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Emma's mind raced. This was it. She had to ask him now, before she lost her nerve. But how?

"So, prom's coming up," she began awkwardly, her voice a little too high-pitched. "And, uh, I was wondering if you...well, if you had a date yet?"

Jack tilted his head, clearly intrigued. "Not yet. Why, are you offering?"

Emma's cheeks burned. "Well, I was thinking...maybe we could go together? But, um, not as, like, a real couple. More like...you know, a fake one?"

Jack blinked, surprised. "A fake date? Interesting. Why?"

Emma quickly explained her situation—how she didn't want to go alone, how she needed someone who could help her navigate the social minefield of prom night. Jack listened, his expression thoughtful.

"So let me get this straight," he said when she finished. "You want me to pretend to be your boyfriend, just for prom?"

Emma nodded, holding her breath.

Jack considered for a moment, then broke into a grin. "You know what? I'm in."

Emma's eyes widened. "Really? Just like that?"

"Sure," Jack shrugged. "Why not? It sounds like fun. Plus, I could use some help with my grades, and you're the smartest person I know."

Emma blinked, taken aback by his easy agreement. "Wait, what?"

Jack laughed. "Yeah, I'll do it. But in return, you've got to tutor me. My grades are kind of a disaster right now, and if I don't pass, I'm going to have to repeat senior year. Deal?"

Emma hesitated, but the thought of spending time with Jack—someone so different from her—was strangely appealing. Plus, it wasn't like she had any other options.

"Deal," she agreed, holding out her hand.

Jack shook it, his grip warm and firm. "Great. This is going to be fun, Emma Wright. I can feel it."

As he walked away, Emma watched him go, her heart pounding. What had she just gotten herself into?