Chapter 5: Dangers In The Shadow

The tension from the ambush still lingered in the air, but for a brief moment, captain Mikha Lim and her team allowed themselves to unwind.

They had gathered at a small decent bar, a place far from the chaos of their work, where they could try to shake off the stress of the day.

The dim lights and soft hum of music provided a comforting backdrop to the team's banter.

Jhoanna, ever the life of the party, had take command of the karaoke machine. Her voice filled the room as she sang her usual piece, her enthusiasm contagious. Stacey, never one to miss out on the fun, joined in on the chorus, the two of them turning the song into an impromptu duet. The pair laughed and nudged each other playfully as they sang, their voices echoing through the bar.

Jhoanna was belting out her usual favorite. Stacey, never one to miss a chance for a duet, had joined in on the chorus, their voices blending in a way that was more enthusiastic than harmonious.

The two of them were locked in their usual banter from time to time, playfully arguing over who had control of the mic.

Colet, however, was less amused. She sat at the table, covering her ears in a futile attempt to block out the noise. Their laughter filled the air, but the sound was beginning to grate on her nerves.

It was a scene Colet was all too familiar with playing the role of the group's de facto mother, making sure everyone stayed in line, even if it meant breaking up their endless banter.

As the night wore on, the atmosphere around the team grew more relaxed except for the ongoing karaoke war between Stacey and Jhoanna.

The two had been hogging the mic for a while now, each determined to out-sing the other.

"Hoy, Jho! Mas mataas yung score ko boom panes ka!" Stacey declared, holding the mic just out of Jhoanna's reach.

Jhoanna, never one to back down, shot her a playful glare.

"Mataas naman ang score flat namam! Tuturuan kita pano kumanta mg maayos puro ka sablay, puro ka flat!" she said, trying to snatch the mic from Stacey's hand.

Stacey held it higher, out of reach, laughing as she did so.

"Ayoko nga! May dalawang kanta pa kong nakasalang!"

"Tumigil ka ang jeje ng mga kinakanta mo!" Jhoanna shot back, leaping up from her seat to grab the mic, but Stacey quickly sidestepped her, keeping it just out of reach.

This back and forth continued, with Jhoanna lunging for the mic and Stacey dancing away, both of them laughing and arguing in equal measure.

Colet, who had been trying her best to ignore them, finally snapped. She slammed her hands down on the table, making both of them jump.Stacey and Jhoanna froze, mid tug-of-war over the mic, as Colet stormed over. Her glare was enough to make both of them think twice about continuing their squabble.

"Tumigil na nga kayo! Mababaliw na ako sa inyong dalawa!"

Jhoanna paused mid-reach, looking slightly sheepish. Stacey, however, still had a mischievous grin on her face.

"Colet, gusto mo sayo na tomg mic?" Stacey teased, holding it out to her.

Colet narrowed her eyes. "Ayoko, ang gusto ko ay kung kakanta kumanta lang kayo o kaya maupo at makinig lang.Yun lang guys simple lang!"

Jhoanna, not one to miss an opportunity, quickly snatched the mic from Stacey's hand while she was distracted.

"Ha!" she declared triumphantly, sticking her tongue out at Stacey.