Chapter 17

FORT EAGLE, FRANCE, NEW WORLD EMPIRE
DECEMBER 24, 2112

"We've got one shot," Storm said. "Helmets up."

Storm, David, and Alex wore E-10 Mech Suits. Including them, there was 23 on their team. The doors on the back of the hover jet lowered. Storm led while David, Alex, and the rest followed. The three mech suits used thrusters close to the ground. The men used parachutes.

Alex landed first. Around him stood the crumbling, rusty former Atlis fort. Vines grew up and down the buildings. Alex used his guide map to lead him to the central building. A slow drizzle came down on him. The two other mech suits landed a minute later, with the parachuters after them. The doors to the command building were wide open. Alex turned on his head lamps and entered.

Inside was a complete mess. On the wall was words that were true. "ATLIS IS DEAD." It was spray painted on the wall. Alex shook his head and continued his sweep of the building. It looked clear. Any signs of life had been erased. The others soon entered.

"Disengage suit," Alex said.

He stepped out of the suit, grabbing his backpack and gun. Alex walked to the main control room. All the computers were off or dead. A safe sat just right of him. It was locked. Alex shot the lock and pulled open the door. A business case sat inside next to a pistol. Alex pulled them out and sat them on the table.

He opened the case to find a computer. Alex booted it up. It opened to a recording. Alex hit play.

"March 18, 2025," said the man on the computer. "I am Ezekiel Maxon of the Atlis Military Corporation and what a tale you're about to here."

To learn what Ezekiel talks about, read Atlis, the first book of this series! Don't forget to vote and comment! Thanks!