Chapter 10

(The next two months went by pretty fast and like how the first few days went. Vy and Alastor started to grow even closer and my jealousy of Vy grew. I started to sneak out to the woods more at non rainy nights and normally fully skipped lunch. I ate dinner most of the time and every once in a while ate breakfast. Alastor had started to notice how every other night in the morning my face had a light bruise which I covered with makeup and I wore even longer sleeves. Whenever Sparrow tried to bother me Alastor showed up and he walked around the track with me everyday. Today was the first day of the 3rd month of school.)

I stumble out of bed at 5:54 exactly and remember a project was due today. My arm is cut badly from when I hit it on my dresser the night before by my father and my face was sore. He had gotten drunk so my punishment was a lot worse than normal. I wonder: how today will be? I get dressed and spend a little longer than what I normally do in the bathroom trying to make my makeup cover the bruise.

I hear the room to Alastors door open and I hear him walk out. Slowly I open the bathroom door and walk out to quietly greet Alastor. When he saw me I watched his face turn into one of slight sadness. What's up with him? I was not in the best mood today but I did slightly want to know what was bothering him. "You okay?" I ask quietly, I do not want to disturb Vy, I do not want to worry her. I was not good at showing kindness and care but I wanted to try to maybe figure out what was going on with him.

"Yes I am fine... the question is are you okay?" He asks quietly, his face still not meeting my gaze even though he was claiming to be ok. "I have seen you sneak out every night I-" He was cut off by Vy walking out of her room just in time for us to head down the stairs.

I watch as she reaches out to grab Alastor's hand which was a normal thing now. Then after he takes her hand I feel my familiar feeling of what I have determined to be jealousy. I force my eyes away and try to focus on what I am going to say to my father.

As we walk down the stairs I felt slight nervousness at seeing my father again after last night. We had gotten into an argument last night. I didn't even know if he would say go off to school or if my mother would be speaking today. She was a kind person but father also threatens and probably harms her.

As we slowly walk into the room I see my father sitting at the head of the table indicating that we all were eating together. Just at the sight of his face I felt so much anger and pain but as we sat Vy and I next to him and Alastor next to me I forced the anger out of my head so I could focus on pleasing him. "Eat quickly you all have tests today" he says boldly and obviously threatening Vy and I.

I did have a math test, Alastor also had a math test, and Vy had an ELA test. All of these were important subjects to my father. I decided to just take my plate to the kitchen and skip breakfast, like I did a lot these past few months. I returned to the table and acted like I ate a few bites. 

After everyone was done we all stood up and start to walk to the door. "Styve I expect highly of you on this test," father states as we start to the door. I nod at his words then Vy, Al and I leave the house. As we walk out I feel the weight of my father's words rest on me. I know if I mess up I would be in deep shit.

As we walk I feel unable to speak so I reach into my pocket and grab my ancient cassette player and my head phones. I plug my headphones into the cassette and turn on shuffle. I hear 'Poison' by Johnnie Guilbert start to play.

'Your the poison I need to stop
Your the pain that makes me dead
I can never not be lost
I will never not be dreamed
I am broken
I feel alone
I was hoping we would find some hope
I am wishing you would come around
All I want is to leave this town
All I want is to leave this town'