chapter 19: the dance.

Loren

Darren was no where in sight and the dance was about to commence. Acapella music started flowing and i started to get nervous. My eyes were searching the dance floor for glasses but instead i found a tattooed man coming towards me. Ryder.

When I tell you my heartbeat stopped when I saw him earlier. I didn't believe my eyes cuz this was a family gathering and i didn't expect him here. I then asked Sierra if she had any idea about this but she told me that she didn't even know that bryant and ryder were still close. I couldn't control my emotions when I looked him in the eyes and it just makes me look more pathetic.

Ryder started coming towards the dance floor and i panicked even more. Wth was he doing here? Don't tell me he's gonna take darren's place. No. I can't deal with this.
I wrinkled my eyebrows at him clearly giving him the Idea to get out because this is a bad idea and i don't need his pity help.
But damn this guy was stubborn.

As he offered his hands to me i realised we had eyes on us so I had to pretend play. I put on my fake smile and took his hand. Goosebumps spread on my arm when he put his hands on my waist and mine on his shoulders. I maintained my smile and whispered in his ear "what are you doing here?" He dipped his head down to listen to me and that action alone did something to me.
Wait that was just a natural reaction to a human body reacting to touch. I'm still mad at him.

"Well i thought i should swoop in and become the hero for one day"
I rolled my eyes at him. We both were swaying to the music and through the corner of my eye I saw Sierra staring at us with her hands on her mouth. I still couldn't see Darren.

"Since you're a villian in a person it doesn't suit you." He smirked back at me and then said "then why haven't you grabbed my collar tackled me to the ground.?" He spun me around and pulled me towards him which caught me off guard.

"That's not a bad idea actually remind me to do that after the dance is over."
I rolled my eyes at him and looked at the dance floor when i looked at him again he was looking down at me. Then suddenly he dipped my head down and his hands holding my back.

 Then suddenly he dipped my head down and his hands holding my back

And for the first time I didn't see any humour in his eyes. All i saw was pain. Guilt. Remorse.

When he saw that I noticed that he brings me back up and cupped my face in his hands and said with the most saddest expression I've ever seen on him.
"Lo I'm really sorry about what happened-
When suddenly the music stopped and i realised the dance was over. So we quickly seperated and did a bow as the sounds of clapping echoed the room.

I could feel my heard thudding so much i thought it would crawl out of my chest. I did feel his sorry was sincere but I just wondered if I should let go of myself. To trust men so easily. Again.

I could feel Ryder was staring at me. I exhaled a breath and started walking away from him and he followed me. Just as he was about to continue his apology bryant came behind him and put his arms around his shoulders. He smiled at me and said "great job guys." He looked at Ryder and said "i didn't know you could dance." He looked at me and said "i didn't either." Heat crawled up my face and Sierra was giving me the eyes if you know what I mean so i quickly squeezed her hand to stop looking at me.

Bryant pulled Ryder towards him and said "let's get a drink." And i watched Ryder get pulled away by bryant.
So much for the apology.

Sierra pulled my shoulder and said "what was that?" Omg i didn't believe her. "you tell me. Where is darren?" I was as furious as her.
"Idk where he went off to I asked Aaron to search the entire place and he was not here."
Her eyes grew bigger "till now"
I wrinkled my eyebrows at her when I followed her eyes behind me and I had to look up to see it was Darren who looked like he had been crying?
I grabbed his hand and said "what happened? Where were you? We were so worried about you."

"I'm sorry Loren I just got this news about someone close to me and i couldn't move-"
"What happened?" I grew more concerned.
"It's my mom. I just found out she had a car accident"
I opened my mouth and covered it. Omg. No. Tears welled up in my eyes.
"Omg is she okay?"
"She's fine but she still hasn't woken up."
I'm not even mad about him not dancing with me but the fact that he had to endure that all alone?
Sierra also grew really quiet she squeezed darren's hand and left quietly.
I hugged Darren and I knew he was in pain because he did not hug me back.
I whispered "I'm sorry Darren. She's gonna be okay."
I came back and grabbed his shoulders "I need you to be strong and have faith in God. Everything will be okay."

                                🎀

I changed into my pajamas as i sat down on the bed of my childhood room.
White curtains, pictures of my childhood with my siblings, my mom. All the happy memories in here but i wasn't happy. This whole day with Ryder showing up suddenly, me dancing with him and finding out about Darren. It's all too much.
I checked my phone from a text from him about something anything. But nothing came.

I needed some rest I was way too tired mentally and emotionally. I'm so glad I packed my stuff today morning because I would not have the energy to do it rn. I have my flight early morning tomorrow back to reality. I'm gonna miss my family and i wished i had more time to spend with them.
When suddenly there was a knock on my door. I wrinkled my eyebrows cuz who would knock on my door at this hour unless-

I opened the door and it was none other than Claire smith my mom.
"Hi. What's up?"
"Hi honey i just came to check if you packed everything for tomorrow. "
"Yes I packed everything in the morning only."
"Oh wow you've grown up a lot."
She always says that when I start doing things in a discipline.
I laughed at her and i noticed her hands behind her back. She was hiding something.
"I brought snacks for you." She revealed those from her hands.

She always kept my tummy full.
"This is so sweet mommy."
I took those from her and hugged her. I said against her shoulder "I'll miss you."
"I'll miss you more lo."