RABW 23: UNEXPECTED

Before Roan or any of the other families were able to make a move, Glasfale's Supreme Commander released news that rendered them speechless. The news was what they had been anticipating to happen in the future, not in the present. All remnants around the kingdom that were not under any of the aristocratic families were to enlist for the military. It also says on the announcement that if any were found to be willfully concealing their identities to avoid the enlistment, necessary actions will be implemented.

Everleigh and Levhon were upset with the sudden turn of events. Levhon thought the enlistment would still be in the future, how wrong was he.

"Tsk, I don't understand what those people in position were thinking but this news is so sudden and it even came without any warning for us to at least prepare for it." Levhon haphazardly threw the letter of invitation on the table in anger. He very much wanted to tear the offending piece of paper but he restrained himself.

"Does that mean that you and the other remnants will be forced to work for the military?" Everleigh was on the verge of crying. She knew the implication of this letter, even if she was still young, she knew that with this letter, his brother will be leaving home.

Dreigh sighed, "Yes. I thought I had more time to slowly explain to you what may happen in the future but I didn't expect this to suddenly happen and I can't casually refuse it like what I did to the Emrys's invitation." Dreigh was also conflicted. The first time he learned about the news was that it was not confirmed yet and it looks like some details were not polished yet. It was astonishing that just after a week or so the plan was already complete and not a prior announcement was made.

The contents of the invitation also carry a subtle hint of threat. It clearly shows that the people behind the government were serious about their threats.

"We have been living in this place for over five years now and this place is becoming worse and worse every year," their father exclaimed helplessly. "I'm starting to regret my decision of coming here."

"You were thinking about what's best for us during that time. We can't predict the future and besides even if we protest, no one will hear us," Dreigh supplemented. They left and started a new life in this kingdom because their father wanted them to be safe.

Glasfale is a kingdom ruled by the military and the highest ruler which was equivalent to a king was called Supreme Commander. Under this ruler was the eight Commander Generals who were also called the pillars of the kingdom. One of them was the Emrys Family. These commanders had their designated armies and area entrusted to them to use and protect. They were stationed around Glasfale to ensure that no enemies can attack from any side of the kingdom because of the kingdom's location, it is prone to any attacks thus the commander generals were appointed and scattered around to prevent this from happening. This was the very reason why Glasfale was called the Iron Fortress.

"We can only comply, I don't want them to have the reason to bully you," Dreigh voiced out. He has given this enlistment a thought ever since the first time he learned of it and had been preparing for some time now but the news still came too fast. "I will let Mr. Mazir ensure that nothing happens to you and Ever during the time that I am away."

"You've already planned it out?" Levhon was perplexed, it was the first time he was hearing this from his son. He didn't even know that Dreigh already talked to Mr. Mazir.

"It's just an insurance that will keep me at ease while I am not here with you. A precautionary measure is needed and Mr. Mazirc can also be considered an influential power here in Glasfale," he explained. He was just being cautious because he had a feeling that something will happen.

"Stop saying that brother! You are speaking like you are leaving us forever," Everleigh suddenly exploded and cried. She doesn't like the tome of his brother. She can't help but panic and held his brother tightly. Dreigh became helpless at his sister's sudden outburst and let her hug him like a baby.

"You're only overthinking it. I'm just worried about you and father being left here," he ruffled his sister's hair. It would only give them more things to worry about if he would tell what he was thinking so he chose to stay silent and continued to pat his sister's back.

Levhon did not speak for a long time, he was deep in thought. Nobody knows what he was thinking, he only gives his son a meaningful look which Dreigh did not notice as he was busy consoling his little sister.

A deep sigh caught their attention, they both looked at their father in rapt attention, waiting for him to speak. "I'll give you that sword then. You might as well take it with you instead of selling it to others."

"But father -- " Dreigh was suddenly cut off by his father's raised hand.

"I would rather you take it. I know that you are not very fond of weapons but I still want you to have it. You might be able to use it someday and it will at least help us know that you can defend yourself whatever may happen." Levhon insisted and so he nodded in acceptance. "Let's not open the store for now. We will help you prepare and pack all the things you will need."

Levhon stood up and left the room while Everleigh stayed with his brother. After a few minutes after her hiccups subsided, she stood up and wiped her tears. "I'll help you pack your clothes big brother." She turned to his brother's closet and got some clothes which she folded.

He could only smile at his sister's sulking. "I will regularly write you a letter, so you don't have to put on that ugly face. I want you to smile always whether I'm here or not."