RABW 30: ENCOUNTERING DEATH

Mathis fell silent after listening to Dreigh. He had heard of remnants who are on a different level but records about them a very limited. All information they had are only from word of mouth or a piece of small paper. Nothing was certain about this information, it was purely speculation but what Dreigh had described conforms to one of the information given to them. There were certain remnants who can communicate with the spirits around them and can use these spirits to enhance their control on their abilities, though only a little was known about them, people came to call them Singular.

It was hard to believe but he could always give Dreigh the benefit of the doubt. "I've heard of remnants who can destroy a city within a day and that they are extremely powerful but all of these are all without proof and no one had seen anyone with this kind of ability."

Hearing Captain Mathis's words, Dreigh knew that he didn't believe him and could only return to staring in front of him. It doesn't matter if nobody believes him, he had already become accustomed to it. In this place where remnants are not welcome, not even one would listen to a remnant's words.

"I'll give you the benefit of the doubt just this time, if what you have said was true then you're punishment will be rescinded after all of this is over," Mathis added after he saw that Dreigh averted his gaze and didn't bother to answer him.

Mathis was about to talk once again when screams suddenly echoed from their camp. Both of them ran towards the camp and found that most soldiers were already dead and their enemies were attacking from all sides. Dreigh saw that among these men, the man who attacked them earlier was standing in front. He saw the man wave his hands and wind blades attacked the remaining soldiers.

Dreigh immediately looked for the other remnants and saw them on the side fending off the attack of the enemy while the commanding officer and others more were making their escape. He ran to them and helped in defeating enemies. Using his hands to channel his internal energy, several trees were uprooted and hurled towards the enemies burying them.

"Retreat," he commanded. "We defend and attack at the same time while retreating! Move, now!" The group of remnants didn't think about it and followed Dreigh's commands. They slowly retreated while some of them focused on attacking while the others were continuously making walls to defend them. Dreigh didn't stop his attacks and continued to hurl anything that he can get his hands on. They were not able to go far when they heard more screams coming from behind, they all looked back and saw the mysterious man killing the escaping the soldiers even the arrogant commanding officer was not able to survive. They were surrounded and all they could do was defend and stay alive.

They gritted their teeth and squeezed out more internal energy in hopes of making a path for them but it was proving to be futile. A battle cry sounded not nearby and a barrage of attacks rained down on the enemies, destroying their weapons and even their armors. Dreigh took this chance to move the dead bodies and make a path for their escape. All of them retreated towards where the attacks that saved them came from and saw their comrades busy attacking the mysterious man with Captain Mathis leading them.

"Dreigh are you alright?" Endo asked after he saw Dreigh among the survivors.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he nodded in his direction. He looked around and saw wounded soldiers being supported by the remnants. Their camp was thoroughly destroyed and they were reduced to a sorry state. They expected an attack but didn't take into account the mysterious man they encountered. If only they listened to what the remnants had to say they might be able to prepare a countermeasure against such force.

"Remnants create a wall! Make it as thick as possible, we need more time in order to retreat!" Captain Mathis ordered to which the remnants immediately obeyed. They didn't want to die so they did as the captain had ordered.