RABW 26: ENTERING THE MILITARY INSTITUTE

Whispering was already heard throughout the place when Dreigh started to walk towards the Captain. He stopped and stood straight in front of the man without speaking. His identity was widely spread among the people of Westdenn, and more prominently with the remnants. They were curious to see what he can do since they can't solely rely on stories.

"Name?" Captain Corven asked while eyeing the young man before him. He noticed the attention this young man gathered by just walking up to him. Corven would like to know what caused this sudden change in the atmosphere.

"Dreigh Straut," he answered without a flinch. Corven nodded, from his observation most of the remnants in this place showed no fear which in his opinion was not good news since it would be difficult for them to control them.

"Age?" Corven continued to ask without even a hint of what he was thinking.

"21."

"Ability?"

"I can move things without touching them," Dreigh gave a short answer. He would not easily disclose the whole truth behind his ability just in case he needed a trick upon his sleeve in a matter of life and death situation.

Captain Corven looked at him with a frown. He could feel that there was something more about this young man but he can't tell what he was thinking. Like the other remnants, this one was good at concealing his thoughts. As he continued to observe, he noticed that most of these people had serious attitude problems.

"Okay, show it. Let's see if it can be useful." The captain gestured for him to show this ability he had. Dreigh didn't hesitate and raised his hand.

With an upward gesture, the stone bench beside the dried-up fountain in the plaza was lifted in the air. Dreigh moved his hand from left to right and the bench also moved towards those directions. With a downward motion, the bench fell with a thud and created a dent on the stone ground. Even the stone bench was reduced to pieces with the force of the impact.

Captain Corven sighed, these remnants can be considered monsters. This kind of power will definitely have a great impact on the outcome of any battlefield. Even though the origin of these abilities was still unknown, people came to accept that there are people who existed with these kinds of different abilities.

After all remnants on the plaza were accounted for, several carriages were sent to pick up the remnants. The ride to the military institute was uneventful, no one was willing to talk with one another. It took them about five hours to reach the Opacus Mountains which was located on the northern most of Glasfale. It was a bit secluded and was very far from any cities or towns inside Glasfale.

This place was formerly a stronghold of the northern Glasfale forces but was then later abandoned because the troops moved to the border. One by one, they got down from the carriages and stared at the looming walls in front of them. It felt like they were entering prison with all the guards stationed on top of the high walls.

"Carriages are not allowed inside. Walk and follow us inside, be reminded that your every move in this place will be watched." Captain Corven didn't care what they would think about him, all he cared about was to finish this job and return to his regular post. Inside the place was even more depressing, the gloominess was palpable in every corner of the institute.

The group reached an open space where other remnants from other parts of Glasfale were also waiting. After they found their place, Captain Corven left with the members of the fifth battalion. A man in a deep red uniform lined with gold and silver stood straight in front with his hands on his back giving them a sweep with his eyes. Behind him were some other people, which were presumably Captains from different battalions of the army.