I.12 Branton Inphernos

Branton is taken away from Auroris and finds himself back on the Isle of Inphernos.

He knows this is a dream. It's always the same place with the same problem. He knows exactly how everything will happen until the end. The dreams have been occurring ever since the Trybal War ended.

The sky clears up as the sun peeks through the gray wisps of clouds. All the neytives go on with their activities, minding their own existence and not giving death glares or promised threats.

Branton spots his home over the valley. It's far away from the neytives and looks like it was recently made. The mounds of dirt, clay and igneous rocks are stacked over each other. Sunlight reflects off the rocks, prompting Branton to shield his eyes.

He takes his time walking to the door, mentally preparing himself for the dream to manifest into a nightmare.

There's clean furniture made purely from a nearby field, fresh food brought from the market near the docks, and a small fire in the center of the room. Flint uses his trigger to stoke the flames. A subtle smirk spreads across his face. Branton knew what he was smirking about, but this dream wasn't about him.

He catches movement in the next room and keeps walking with rising fatigue.

His younger brother sits on his bed and plays with his collection of rocks. Branton remembers when he ventured into the volcanic tubes long ago. He ended up getting stuck down there for three dials due to a collapsing tunnel. He brought back many minerals, stones and gems they would use for tools and ingredients. It was the perfect gift for his youngest sibling.

Heath holds up a crystal to the sunlight. It flashes a cascade of colorful lights throughout the room. Branton remembers giving that crystal to Heath. It's a black diamond with a perfect star cut and polished facets. It's considered rare to find a diamond of that color on Myalón.

"Heath," Branton knows he's speaking, but it's inaudible. "We need to talk."

His brother looks at him and moves his mouth; but like Branton, Heath's voice is warped. He remembers what they both say. "What is wrong?"

"It is... umm... it... is about... mother and father."

The room fills with white noise and the expression on Heath's face changes instantly. Branton has to suffer through this nightmare and it takes a toll on his heart.

Outside the window, the beautiful clear blue sky turns red. The temperature gets hotter as it pierces through the walls. Fire bursts through Heath's window and burns everything it touches.

Heath doesn't move. He sits on his bed, ignoring the out of control fire and pulls his legs into his body, crying into his knees. Branton can't do anything since it's just a dream. The real Heath is back on Myalón, going through his life without one of his brothers. He lets everything play out and hopes he can wake up soon.

He turns and exits Heath's room. The flames continue to spread, consuming their possessions and leaving behind a trail of ash. Flint isn't even fazed by the destruction. He continues to stoke the fire while chewing on a piece of coal.

Behind Branton is his room that catches fire as well, but something else draws his attention.

A bright white light shines throughout his room. It flickers non-stop, overlapping the fire around it. Branton hasn't seen that sort of light in his dreams before.

This is something new.

He can't help but be drawn by the light. It's purposely luring him closer. It's mesmerizing. It's frightening.

As he gets closer to the white glow, there is an audible sound behind it. It sounds like whispering, but Branton can't make out what it's saying.

The flashing light floods the entire home.