I.18 Dharunma Vitares

Dharunma removes his suit, jacket, and shoes, leaving him in nothing but his pants.

The Psyke neytives prepare the Rejuvenation Tank, filling it with clear green water and adjusting the settings on the panels.

The oval-shaped tank is the best surgical machine compared to the things in the Medical Wing. It heals minor physical damages done to the body. It takes a long time, but it's worth it. Afterwards, neytives are more energized and capable of performing certain tasks they couldn't before. The downside to the tank is that it can't heal physical and mental defects from birth.

Two things hovering over the tank. A single row of steel platforms where they monitor the candidates' vitals, and a set of tubes connected to another machine in the ceiling. One tube is silver and has a mask strapped at the end.

A Psyke neytive grabs the silver tube and brings it to Dharunma, placing the mask over his mouth and tightening the strap around his head. Once he is prepared, they both walk to the side of the tank and step onto the platform. They get to the center of the tank where a small gate swings open.

Dharunma peers over the platform, but looks back once he feels hand on his shoulder. Without warning, the Psyke neytive shoves him forward and sends him head first into water.

The tank engulfs him, but he swims back up to recover. He looks up at the Psyke neytive who pushed him in. A mischievous grin spreads across his face.

Dharunma stays in the tank for a long time. A steady flow of air circulates through the tube.

He can feel the tank working on his body. There's a small amount of heat penetrating his skin where there were recent scars and cuts. It doesn't hurt, but the heat radiates quickly and spreads fast. He knows the number of scars he has. He knows where they are, when he got them, and how each one happened.

The one thing that will never heal is the hole in his chest, displaying his beating heart. The tank can't fix what's symbolized as the mark of a Vitares neytive.

A thought comes to Dharunma. This is similar to his meditation. Meditating is the one serene action he can handle on Auroris. With his recent flare up with Lynette and his accidental attack on the Quadiant neytive, he's having trouble keeping his anger under control.

He vaguely remembers what gran Serkan would tell him when his temper rises. Keep reality small with himself at the center. Every time he meditates, he imagines himself inside his own bubble. No one comes near him and everything goes quiet.

His personal reason for meditating is to balance his heart. He's had to endure a lot during and after the Trybal War. With all the blessed and terrible moments crammed in his heart, he meditates every dial without rest. He wants to cleanse his heart no matter how long it takes.

A jerk on the breathing tube snaps Dharunma back to reality. The same neytive one who shoved him is tugging him up. He still has the same grin on his face. He wonders if they did this to the other candidates. Getting something for themselves before the Knyghts Voyage begins. His mood worsens at the thought of Lynette not being affected, since her trybe can breathe underwater.

The Psyke neytive pulls him out of the tank and forces him to his feet. "You are done. We have one last candidate on our list."

"Was it funny?" Dharunma's anger rises up as he removes the mask. "I am not laughing."

The Psyke neytive doesn't show any intimidation. "I do not care. You are all getting more than what you deserve. You are free to leave."

Dharunma is losing his patience and is about to summon his trigger, but something latches onto his wrist.