Chapter 9 - the only parallel

The nameless boy

Today felt like every other. My sister and I live in a run-down barnyard away from all the other Ghondhimians, food was scrounged from the livestock we breed and slaughtered. We weren't always this way; my sister and I grew up without parents. They had died in Ghondors great journey to conquer the other lands back fifteen years ago.

During the afternoon my sister and I would practice our hunting and weapon crafting. We made bows but never made more than three arrows to ensure we were always accurate and made every shot count. The hatchets we crafted were to work on new gutting tactics on the animals and sometimes humans we came across.

My sister and I never got along with society, since we were just toddlers they threw rocks at us, spit on our family's name, and tried to burn down our home. And so, alone we sit every day waiting for more of them to come. We only kill the humans for both pleasure and stealing the valuables they bring with them. The best gift we got from a lonely old man was his handgun, a model six gun, meaning this guy has some serious cash to just spend on a handgun. In our spare time my sister would sneak into the library and steal books that could help us live better out here.

However, everything changed the day those things came. One of them wore bandages covered in blood all over his face with these red tinted goggles and a jacket with the hood pulled up. His crew were all red skinned and armed for serious combat. When my sister and I saw them coming we had no choice but to watch them kill off our livestock, electrocute our fences, and set up some kind of ritual circle around our house. I felt the rage boil in my body, I was all for a frontal assault to slay the enemy, but my sister kept my head down and told me to just stay hidden in the tall dead grass. I only ever wanted to protect my sister, she isn't weak, but she is all I have. She slipped past the demons and snuck around the house when she was crawling back one of the demons caught her. They stepped on her leg and pulled her up by the hair.

"No!" I internally screamed. As I sprinted directly to them, I drew my hatchets from behind and engaged the enemy. The demon who had my sister called his buddies after me. It was me versus four inhuman beings. I implied every tactic I could think of, slashing away at the legs, blocking attacks with meat shields, and digging deep into the stomach and slicing upward. I lost both of my hatchets after breaking them on the flesh of the demons. All I had was the model six handgun with one ammo magazine, and my bare hands.

I drew the pistol and fired it between one of the demon's eyes. He fell to the ground but just got back up as the wound healed slowly. I froze in fear until I heard the sound of bones crunching. I turned my head to see the demon had broken my sister's back. She fell limp as he picked her up by the head and squeezed his hand until her head popped like a fresh tomato.

I couldn't believe what I had just seen, my sister's corpse just flopped on the ground as her blood dripped down my face. I charged toward the demon that killed my sister, biting into his neck and gripping tight enough to tear out his throat. The other demons closed in, but they all weren't expecting the devil in me. I had used the demon's body to block all the attacks until his arm was weak enough to snap out of place. I had taken his femur bone and kicked it in half. Throwing his body directly onto the snapped bone and leaving his body to rot. The other demons tried attacking in unison, yet I had enough bullets to shoot out all their necks. They all fell to the ground just as my sister did. Broken, and murdered I covered myself in their blood when the final demon glared at me. The bandaged demon just clapped slowly as he chuckled at my performance.

He says he's never seen a human without training fight off more than one demon on his own. I was about to charge him to give him the same fate as my sister, but this other demon came from behind, this one was female and coated in black goo. She was one horned and about to assassinate the demon. He turned around and they immediately engaged in high-speed combat. I couldn't even catch up with my naked eye. I took a couple steps back and held my dead sister close, the two inhuman beings fought when from behind two more combatants showed up. A girl with these ears on top of her head like a fox and a man with a blue hood crept up and blew past me. I felt my body start to shake. I don't understand why this is all happening now, why did she have to die? Why are these people on my land? Why can't I move my legs? So many questions but little answers. The female shadow slashed so hard at the demon she severed his leg; she whistled out and the two Infront of me charged out and cut off the arms of the demon. The three stood in front of the demon who bled on the floor, as he balanced himself on his knee and only leg he looked up at the group and spoke in some language I couldn't understand. I couldn't believe how quickly these guys disabled that demon, but what happened next shocked me to my core. A fourth member jumped from the tree's his blinding white sword glimmered in the sunlight as he came down with a massive trail of fire erupting from the blade. The demon panicked and tried to get away but once the masked member came down on him, he was split into two horizontally. The kid slid across the dirt and came to a stop in front of me. The kid stood up as his team stood behind him.

He held his hand out and told me that we needed to talk. I didn't know how to feel, it was like a wheel spun in my head and whatever emotion it landed on was my reaction. The wheel stopped in anger first "who are you!" I screamed as I clenched my sister tighter. He lowered his hand and introduced himself as Project 0409, the blue hooded man was David, the fox girl Melena, and the female shadow Casper.

The wheel spun again, stopping in sorrow. I teared up and ducked my head into my sister's body. The kid removed his hood and squatted beside me, he gently placed his hand on my back and rubbed it in circles. I cried out to them, asking why they hadn't shown up sooner to save my little sister. Casper had said because they arrived too late because of an issue in the waves. I slowly let go of my sister and placed my hand on her heart. I promised her that I would kill every single demon in Onegai to avenge her. I couldn't fault this group for being late, all I had at fault was myself for not protecting her sooner. Project 0409 asked me what my name was. I told him I was born without a name since my sister, and I never saw the point in names. They offered to let me stay with them until I get on my feet or eventually gave my life to freedom. To fulfill my promise to my sister I joined this team and set a name for myself, a name that strikes fear into the demons' hearts for eternity. A name that will settle a lifelong vendetta against the world.