5

The aroma of pancakes and bacon filled my nose as I woke up.

Grabbing my phone, I realized it was 10:30. Saturday mornings are my favorite, because my mother usually has work off then.

She hasn't started her job yet, from what she's told me. Her boss has let her stay off considering she just moved.

Tonight, we were going to her boss's house for dinner.

I was nervous, since it's the man who is in charge of my mother. I needed to make a good impression on him, for my mom's sake.

"Goodmorning mom," I smiled, as she handed me a plate of breakfast.

"Morning sweetie. Are you, uh, excited for m-my boss's house?" She hesitantly asked.

I was confused as to why she was so doubtful, but once again, I let my doubtfulness slide. I think I've been growing doubtful of my mother due to the move, mainly because I didn't want to move but was forced into it.

"Sweetie?" My mother tapped my shoulder.

"Oh sorry. Uhm, yeah. I guess I'm excited." I shrugged, not really knowing a response.

"Okay good. You have to dress decently nice, but not super fancy."

I nodded and continued eating my breakfast.

After I finished up, I washed the dishes and made my way back up to my room.

I watched tv for a bit, and let the time slip away from me. It was 2:30, and we were leaving at 3:30 for her boss's dinner.

"Crap," I mumbled, walking to my closet.

I scanned over all of my old clothes, and the new clothes I had purchased, and decided on a casual but nice looking outfit.

I picked out a pair of high waisted, light washed denim shorts, and a white crop top. I threw on a black leather jacket since it was only 70° out, and the wind was picking up due to another rainfall.

I didn't apply any makeup, considering I never wear any, but I did throw my hair into a neat 'messy' bun.

Frankly, I don't understand why we call it a messy bun, when we take multiple attempts to make it the most perfect bun. It didn't make any sense to me.

It was 3:30, and the time slipped by again as I scrolled through vine.

"Ready?" My mother called up.

"Yeah." I simply replied, lacing up my white converse.

We were out the door and in about 15 minutes, we arrived to her boss's house.

It wasn't that big, even though he made more money then her and managed the office supposedly. Our house was bigger.

It confused me a bit, but maybe he had a small family.

I slowly walked to the front door, side by side with my mother. His house smelled like pasta, so that's probably what we would be having for dinner.

My mother gently knocked on the door, and within seconds, a tall man with brunette colored hair opened the door. He was in a suit and tie, and his hair was slick back.

"Hello, Erin." The man greeted my mother, smirking at her.

"Raphael." My mother plainly said, avoiding eye contact.

It was a weird relationship between them, but I let it slide.

"Your mother has told me an awful lot about you, Logan. I have a son around your age, why don't you two meet. I'll call him down." Raphael said slowly.

I shook my head, but before I got the chance to decline his offer, his son was already being called to come down.

"Trevor. Please come downstairs, our guests are here. The Miller's." Raphael shouted.

I gave him a fake smile, while taking a seat on their couch in the living room.

I supposed Raphael didn't have a wife, considering he ran back to the kitchen, asking for my mom's help with the food.

"What's up Da- oh. Never mind." He simply said, staring at me. "You must be my dads friend's daughter." He asked, well, stated more than asked.

"My mom works for your dad, I thought?" I nervously asked, slightly confused.

"Oh, yeah. He's her, boss, uh right."

I nodded and scooted over, letting him sit down on the couch next to me.

"Your name?" He demanded.

"Logan."

"Pretty name," he whispered, barely inaudible but I still heard it. I blushed but quickly hid it by putting my head in my hands.

Trevor had brunette hair, that was perfectly slicked back to his left side. He was wearing a white polo with khakis that were cuffed up on the bottom, so you could see his white nike socks. To match the white socks and shirt, he wore white vans with brown detailing.

"Like what you see?" He chuckled, smirking a bit.

My cheeks heated up as I realized he noticed me staring, this wasn't good.

"Sorry," I mumbled, quite embarrassed.

He nodded and flipped through the TV channels. Though, I wasn't very interested in the TV because I just wanted to get through this dinner.

"Cmon, let's pick this up," I muttered to myself.

-

It's been an hour, and my mother is still with her boss in the other room.

"Mother!" I called, getting anxious.

She came back with her hair out of its pony tail, and roughly down. It touched her mid back, but for some reason, it was all tossed around looking rather than its normal slick back look.

"Mother?"

Her lipstick had faded a bit on her lips. I was rather confused.

"What's going?" I asked, noticing her 'boss' wasn't here.

"Cooking dinner, sweetie. Be done in a minute!" She giggled, running back to the kitchen.

I was slightly confused, but once again, I let my mothers actions slide.

"Those rascals," Trevor laughed, placing his hand on my thigh while I sat back down.

"Yeah," I fake laughed. "Those rascals.."

••