4

It's Monday and everything has been placed into the moving trucks. Considering it was only a twelve hour drive, my mother and I decided to take the driving route to Virginia.

I was very unhappy with the move, especially because I had no idea as to why we even had to move

But, this is what we had to do. And if my mother could do it, then so could I.

-

After a long drive of small talk, and inconsistent sleeping, we arrived at our new home. It was rather large, for a Virginia home, at least.

I assume our new neighbors were standing on the porch next door, so my mother went up and greeted them while I sat in the car in the driveway. Considering I stayed in the car, I just played games on my phone like I did for most of the ride.

"Hi." I heard someone squeak. I looked up to see a girl around my age, with long blonde hair. "I'm, uh, Sam." She smiled.

"Logan." I simply said.

"What brings you guys to Virginia?" She asked, curious as to why she has new neighbors, I'm sure.

"I don't really know. I think it's my mothers work, but frankly, I don't know. She thinks I need a fresh start since I've been looking 'down?' I don't really know. Something about a fresh start?" I nervously scratched my neck.

"Oh," was all she said, before gesturing me to get out of the car. "Let me invite you in."

"Oh that's fine," I said. "I've got to set up my room and help my mother with our house." I explained.

"That's cool, uh, I think your mom is with my parents though," she told me, pointing at my mother.

"Okay! Well then, sure..uh, I guess." Was all I managed to get out, before walking to her home.

"Beautiful home," I told Sam.

"Thanks, it's pretty great."

She showed me around her downstairs, and then showed me her room. It had a walk in closet, and she had her own bathroom that had a tub, and a shower separate from each other.

"This is awesome," I breathe, looking around her mint green colored room.

"It took me awhile to get it perfect, but I finally did." She said proudly, letting out a sigh as she collapsed on her bed.

"Logan! Come on!" I heard my mother shout to get my attention.

"Well I better go. We should definitely hangout!" I said, actually happy that I made a new friend so soon.

"Here." She said, sliding my a sheet of paper with her phone number on it. "Text me whenever."

I smiled and skipped downstairs, following my mother back to our house.

"And perfect," my mother grinned, watching the two moving trucks pull up to our house.

This couldn't get any better for a new home.

-

(4 days later)

My mom and I, functioning on only 2 hours of sleep due to a nap, have finally finished decorating and placing everything into our new home.

It was quite lovely, actually. I'm finally starting to feel comfortable in Virginia.

"Sweetie," I heard my mother yell from downstairs.

"Yeah?" I blurted back, fiddling with my thumbs.

"Could you come down here for a second? I think it's time for me to share with you why we, uh moved!"

I was a bit fishy about the entire moving situation, but I would rather not pick a fight with my mom over something I had no choice of.

I've briefly talked to Ally, and just told her we were visiting Virginia for the summer. I was waiting on telling her we had moved, and I didn't want to do it while she had so much on her plate.

"Okay, care to explain?" I asked my mother, plopping down on the couch beside her.

"My boss lives down here, and wanted me to become the supervisor for this area!" My mother happily informed me.

"That's great," I smiled, giving her a slight hug. Something told me she wasn't exactly sure about what she was telling me; like she was making this all up. I brushed that thought aside, and decided to ignore it. It was pointless, really. Why would my mother lie to me?

-

The rest of the night consisted of me checking my social media constantly, and texting Ally. The girls I hung out with along with Ally had taken me out of the groupchat we had. I decided they weren't worth my time, and Ally was truly the only person I really cared for back in Florida.

A; have you met any new people?

I thought for a moment as to whether or not I should tell her about Sam, but I decided against it.

L; no not really. my neighbors have briefly talked to my mother, but i didn't really talk with them. how have you been? you're texting now, which is good. still stuck in the hospital?

I tried to change the subject, but Ally kept on it.

A; oh. not even one person at a market? cmon logan you social butterfly! find someone! and yeah, for another month most likely. :(

I felt awful for Ally. Being stuck in a hospital for the first half of summer is an awful way to spend the break.

L; i really wish i told you to stay home the day of the storm. well, i'll text you tomorrow. goodnight xx

I shut my phone off and plugged it in, slipping it onto the night table next to my bed.

I thought, and I thought, and I continued to think. Thoughts were the only thing keeping me up, and I was really tired. But for some reason, I couldn't sleep. I wouldn't sleep.

I just kept thinking, and thinking.

Until eventually, around 3am, I drifted off to sleep.

••

:))