CXC- Playing Pretend

When I wake up the next morning, Shawn isn't beside me. At first I thought he'd just gone to work, but then I found a note on my nightstand.

It read:

Went for a jog

-Shawn-

I forced myself to crawl out from underneath the blanket and get up for the day. I went to bed pretty frustrated last night, and I'm not sure how I feel about it today. Especially with Shawn gone, It just seems like we spend less and less time together. Maybe that's where some of the distance is coming from. We can't be spontaneous or travel at the last minute. We don't connect the way most couples do, we never have. What if the normal boring life just doesn't work for us? It could explain so much.

Ugh, I just opened my eyes and my mind is already going a hundred miles a minute. It means I don't feel good about last night, and I wish Shawn would've stayed in this morning so we could talk it out. I hate feeling so unresolved.

By the time I make it downstairs, coffee is made and Bee is humming to Rihanna in the kitchen. I plop down on one of the barstools and tap my fingers on the counter. This gets Bee's attention, she turns around to me and smiles. "Oh hey. I didn't hear you come down."

"I just did." I explained, and then glanced at the front door.

Bee picks up on who I'm waiting for. "He left about forty-five minutes ago. He didn't mean to, but it woke me up." Hopefully he won't be too long then.

My phone starts vibrating in my pocket, I pull it out and begrudgingly answer it. "Marin, hey." As his name comes out of my mouth, I notice Becca's ears perk up.

Ignoring it, I pay attention to what Marin is saying. "Hey, can I pick up Matthew today? There's an art gallery nearby that I found. It's super kid-friendly, I checked."

Sighing, I move my hair out of my face and take a moment to think about it. On one hand, Shawn might not like my saying yes. Especially if he's without our supervision. On the other hand, I can see that he's making an effort. Plus he was honest to me about the Dyer's and they're plotting and scheming. "I can go with them. If it'll make you feel better?" Becca chimes in at the last second.

I'm a little confused as to why she would volunteer, especially since she doesn't know Marin. Then I realize that she probably heard Shawn and I's argument last night. Maybe she wants an excuse to give us a moment alone. I put Marin on mute to talk to Bee in private for a moment. "Are you sure?" I just want to make sure.

"Absolutely. It'll be good for me to get out into the city and besides, I'm Matthew's Aunt Bee aren't I?" Her stance alone tells me that she's serious.

I unmute Marin, "Alright, but my friend Becca is coming with you."

"Yes! Thank you! Wait, isn't Becca the friend you kicked me out for?"

"That's the one."

"Awesome, she's so hot." I look up at Bee, who seemingly didn't hear Marin. It's a good thing I didn't put him on speaker. "I'm on my way."

I pulled my phone down from my ear just to make sure he hung up. "What did he say?" Bee questions, her eyes beaming with curiosity.

Leaning on the counter, I graze my fingers against the countertop and smile at her. "He said he's on his way. You like him don't you?" There's no need to beat around the bush, we're all adults here.

Becca scoffs, as if the mere idea of it is ridiculous to her. "I don't know him. We met one time in passing like yesterday."

"Mhm." I both agree and disagree at the same time. The first time I laid eyes on Shawn, I instantly felt something. Whether it be my teenage hormones, or the fact that we were meant for each other. There has never not been a time when I wasn't attracted to him.