La Petite Sirène : Chapter Two

══•●•══

Esme began to drive away back to her Airbnb, a small house nuzzled in the French Quarter. It had Victorian-style archways and cream-colored shutters. She found this place on her phone, and it was not cheap by any means, but she had the money and would often go for the most luxurious spaces when traveling.

Growing up, her parents often gave the two of them the best things money could buy, but Esme still had a need to explore the world. She could easily afford anything she could get her hands on, and she loved the fast pace of Manhattan, but there was only so much she could experience from her penthouse. She enjoyed how the streets of the French Quarter came alive with magic and joy.

Sure, most people were on their fourth hurricane by 3 pm, but hey in New York you've seen it all.

She pulls up to her Airbnb and puts her car in park on the sidewalk, turning off the engine and stepping out in her wet clothes. She sighs and walks to the front door, opening it with her key and stepping inside. Once alone, she quickly begins to strip out of her clothes, putting them in the washer and closing the machine door.

She made her way to the bathroom and began to run a deep warm bath in her tub, going through her phone contacts and facetiming her best friend.

Velvette, who also happened to be her social media assistant, always guiding her through the best ways to promote herself on her platforms.

Esme steps into the bubble bath, laughing at Velvette snapping onto the screen, ranting about how slow tourists walked on the sidewalk. "I mean, these fuckers just won't get outta the way." She huffs, "I hate the city."

"Oh, come on Vel, you don't mean that. After all, Manhattan is the best place for you, with the fashion industry and all."

"Oh, please, where I really should be in Paris."

"Why, so you could just travel back for the Met?"

Velvette continues to ramble on as Esme listens with half an ear allowing the warm water to climb up to her collarbones before stopping the running stream. She thinks back to her encounter with Alastor in the park, and how she wishes she wasn't so nasty on impulse.

"Plus, the F isn't running AGAIN, so I have to walk to Soho a-"

"I met a guy."

There's a silence,

"A guy? Within the first 24 hours of your trip? What the fuck?!" Velvette grumbles and rolls her eyes, "You pull them everywhere, don't you?" She groans.

"I was a complete bitch." Esme begins, "He scared me and I dropped my camera, oh yeah that happened, so you won't get any content from me unless it's from my phone..."

"Shit....that was a new one too...."

"I know, and I was a complete ass. I'm pretty sure I came off as a spoiled Fifth Avenue princess." Esme huffs, leaning further into the water, it now reaching her neck, "He was cute...in a mysterious southern hospitality way..."

"What he look like?"

"Tall, really tall. Like, I only reach his chest tall." Esme laughs, "Curly brown hair, kinda looked like one of those dudes we'd catch in Barnes and Noble in the mystery section. Ya know, dark academia vibe."

Velvette watches Esme closely as she speaks, stepping off to the side and sipping on her macchiato. She notes how Esme's eyes glaze over as she speaks of him, staring in front of her as if she's remembering a scene from a movie, "He's a radio host, which is weird given that interview I have, but I doubt it's the same one. But, I think I've heard his voice somewhere."