The Things You Do To Me

Request: no

Pairing: Tanjiro Kamado x reader

Title: The Things You Do To Me

Warnings: no

Your heart warmed at the sound of Tanjiro Kamado's kind voice echoing throughout the butterfly mansion. He was finally back from his missions.

Your feet subconsciously carried you to the source of the sweet sound, soon finding yourself in the infirmary where an injured Tanjiro was getting situated in clean clothes and fresh bedding.

His nose twitched and he looked up. He would recognize that natural honey-vanilla scent from anywhere.

"Y/n-san! How are you? It's so good to see you!" he smiled brightly, albeit tiredly, and began to limp over to you with his arms outstretched. As you took a step forward, Tanjiro fumbled as his legs shook from exhaustion.

You were quick to be at his side. "Tanjiro, it's nice to see you again, too, but you really need to rest-"

"It's really fine, though! I want to catch up. After all, it's been months since we've seen each other!" He winced as you helped him up, and clung to your helping shoulder.

You looked around, spotting the burgundy haired boy's comrades, Inosuke and Zenitsu, sleeping soundly in their own beds not too far away. You sighed, smiling. "Alright. You wait here, I'll get us some tea and your medicine and then we can catch up. Sound good?"

His cheeks flushed and he nodded as you helped him back into bed.

You made quick work with the tea, and on your way back, you were stopped by the insect pillar, Shinobu Kocho.

"Good evening, Miss Shinobu."

Her normal blank smile looked down at you. "Evening, Y/n. Two cups of tea?"

You blushed. "Tanjiro refused to rest without talking first...you know how he is..."

Shinobu chuckled. "No. I know how you are. Kamado is a good boy, I know. He seems to have the sights for you," she teased.

You waved off the comment. "I doubt it. He's only being nice because I take care of him and his friends," you felt at that moment, you were more trying to convince yourself than anyone else. You had learned your lesson of getting too attached.

Everytime you let one in, someone else took them away from you. Your mother, your sister, and if Taniro really was interested in you, he'd fall under the same curse, you were sure. You knew demon slaying was a dangerous job, and you learned the hard way.

Shinobu's smile faltered for a millisecond, before she nodded and patted your shoulder, walking past.

She knew how much you wanted to let him in. How much you wanted to love him but felt like you couldn't.

"Tanjiro, are you-" You cut yourself off at the sight of a passed out Tanjiro laying halfway on his bed. A smile crept onto your face.

"Oh, Tanjiro. I want to love you, really. I just- I can't," you muttered more to yourself than anyone else, lifting him up and onto the bed, tucking him under the covers and blowing out the lantern that flickered against the shadows in the room, leaving you in a hole of darkness.

You placed a soft, lingering kiss on Tanjiro's forehead, before taking your leave and closing the door behind you.

-

You sat comfortably with a book in your hands, the two cups of tea standing on the nightstand beside your bed.

It was way past midnight, but your mind was running too many miles an hour to go to sleep.