05 - unexpected turns

Taylor had always loved this part of town, especially at night. As she and Travis walked along the quiet, tree-lined streets, the distant sounds of the fundraiser fading behind them, she couldn't help but steal glances at him. It was a surreal feeling, being with him like this — like they were on the brink of something uncharted. She hadn't expected to feel this way tonight, not after everything. Yet here she was, her heart racing with anticipation, caught in a confusing web of old memories and new possibilities.

Travis walked beside her, his hands tucked in his pockets, his gaze forward but his attention clearly on her. His mind was a whirlwind. He hadn't planned for this to happen — hadn't planned for Taylor to be here at all. But now that she was, he couldn't shake the feeling that this was exactly where he needed to be.

"Where are we going?" Taylor finally asked, breaking the comfortable silence that had settled between them.

Travis chuckled softly. "I was hoping you'd have an idea. I just needed to get out of there." He paused, looking at her with a half-smile. "I guess I wanted to see if you'd come with me."

Taylor felt her cheeks warm, and she hated how easily he could still affect her. "Well, I'm here," she replied, trying to sound casual. "But I'm not really dressed for anything too fancy."

He glanced at her, his eyes lingering a bit longer than necessary. "You look perfect, Taylor."

She rolled her eyes but smiled, unable to help herself. "Still a charmer, I see."

"Only when it counts," he shot back, his grin widening.

They continued walking, their banter filling the gaps between moments of silence. The streets were almost empty, the night settling around them like a blanket. Eventually, they found themselves outside a small, late-night coffee shop — the kind with warm lighting and a quaint, inviting atmosphere.

"Coffee?" Travis suggested, nodding toward the entrance.

Taylor laughed softly. "Why not? Though I'm not sure I trust your coffee choices after the Rick incident."

Travis chuckled. "Fair point. I'll let you order this time."

Inside, the shop was quiet, save for a few patrons scattered around. They found a corner table and settled in, the cozy ambiance wrapping around them. It felt oddly intimate, like they were in their own little world. The barista brought over their drinks, and they fell into an easy conversation — the kind they used to have before everything became complicated.

"I've been thinking," Travis said after a while, his tone more serious. "About Emma and Liam. They've been acting weird lately, don't you think?"

Taylor raised an eyebrow. "Weird how?"

"I don't know... just off. Like they're up to something."

Taylor sipped her coffee, considering his words. "Well, they are teenagers. They're always up to something."

"True," he conceded. "But I have this feeling it's more than that."

She studied him, searching his face. "What are you getting at, Travis?"

He hesitated, then leaned in a bit closer, lowering his voice. "I think they might be trying to set us up."

Taylor stared at him, caught off guard. "Set us up? Like... on a date?"

"Something like that," he replied. "Think about it — the sudden interest in us dating, the weird setups with Rick and Nora, how they've been whispering and sneaking around..."

Taylor's eyes widened as the pieces started to fit together. "Oh my God. You're right. They've been playing matchmaker this whole time."

Travis nodded, his expression a mix of amusement and disbelief. "Looks like it."