SIXTEEN - RYTH

I WORKED ON MY ASSIGNMENT, finally nailing down what I wasgoing to write before the bell sounded. Everyone else packed up in a hurry,so I followed, glancing at my schedule and the map as I found my way tomy classroom. As usual, Gio was standing outside waiting."I looked for you this morning," he grumbled. 

"Oh, you did? I came early." I strode past him and into the room, takinga seat off to the side."Yeah," he said as he slid into a seat behind me. "Don't tell me. NickBanks had more important things to do?""No," I answered, trying to ignore that nagging annoyance. "You ask alot of questions where they're concerned."I caught the shrug over my shoulder. "Just curious."About me or the guys I live with?Stepbrothers, remember? I tried not to, shoving them from my mind as Ifocused on the class in front of me. 

But it didn't matter how much I wantedto ignore the fact my mom was getting married to Creed, it still pushed in.She'd brought home wedding cakes, for God's sake. I winced at thethought, my heart aching for my dad. I wanted to see him, or at least talk tohim. More importantly, I wanted to know what the lawyers were doing tobring him home.The class passed in a blur, as well as the next one. I tried to think aboutmy assignment due on Monday, and even though I had an idea of what I'dwrite my assignment on, getting it together in my head would require aserious amount of work. The bell rang for lunch, leaving me to push out mychair and grab my laptop. The moment I turned to Gio, he looked at mewith a hurt expression. 

"What?" I asked."You're different today." He shook his head. "I don't like it.""Different how?""I dunno." He gave a shrug. "Colder toward me. Is there something I'vedone?""You worry about that a lot, don't you?" I grabbed his arm and draggedhim with me toward the door."Fucking traitor," came the call the moment I stepped into the hall.Eyes darted toward me. They all stared. My cheeks burned under theoutburst, but this time I didn't run and hide. This time, I met each gaze."Who said that?"No one answered. Instead, they shuffled past, pretending it hadn'thappened.But I couldn't pretend, not anymore. I may as well stand there and letthem hurt me."I'm not a fucking traitor!" I screamed. 

"I'M NOT MY DAD!"Hard breaths tore from me as I seethed."Hey, you okay?" Gio touched my arm, making me flinch and pullaway. But he didn't mean it as anything other than comfort."Sorry," I muttered, watching as everyone walked past."It's fine." He smiled. "Why don't we get something to eat and sitoutside, my treat this time."I nodded, followed him to the vending machines, and took the sandwichand cola when it was offered, then accompanied him outside. The sun waswarm, caressing my body as I sat on top of the table next to Gio and closedmy eyes."Hanna's party is going to be awesome."I vaguely caught the tail end of his chatter and opened my eyes,instantly remembering something about the wedding. "Not sure I can makeit.""What?""The party." I glanced his way. 

"Mom has dress fittings this weekendand something about a party. I guess I'll be expected to attend."Panic crossed his eyes and for a second, I was confused, why would hepanic about that? Then he moved, leaned across the table and kissed me."Gio!" I shoved him away, my face burning. "What the hell was that?"He looked shocked, confused. His brow furrowed as he looked aroundto see if anyone had seen me rebuke him. "I thought...I mean, I like you,Ryth.""You like me? You barely know me." I fought the need to wipe the feelof his lips from my mouth.At least Tobias and Nick never tried to kiss me...The unwanted thought surfaced before I shoved it away. Gross...I didn'tknow why I thought that, why that would even come into my mind, yet ithad...and it brought with it the image of Nick as he'd gripped my wrist andguided my slick fingers into his mouth. 

I knew what he'd wanted, knew what that meant, and I knew what cameafter. I closed my legs, trying to will that sick desire away."I'm sorry," Gio muttered, and looked away, embarrassed, making mefeel like a real bitch."No, I'm sorry. I just got scared, okay? I wasn't expecting it."He looked at me, a spark of hope igniting in his eyes. "I get it. I cameon too strong.""Yeah, kinda." I gave him a smile."But that's not a no..."God save me. "No, that's not a no."He grinned, cracked open his cola, and drank hard and long beforegiving me a nod. "Next time, I'll give you fair warning."Next time...I smothered my panic by grabbing my sandwich, watching formovement in the corner of my eye as I opened the packet and took a bite.He wouldn't kiss me with a mouthful of ham and rye...surely. If he did,what then?Then I'd have to tell my stepbrothers, wouldn't I?The thought of that filled me. "Someone kissed me today at school." Icould almost see the thunder in their eyes.They were possessive.And controlling.And utterly disgusting.That heat rose inside me.