Chapter 9. Mistletoe

It is early in the morning on the first day of the Christmas holiday. It's so early that all the animals on the savanna are still asleep. Only the lioness is prowling through the corridors. The lioness is cunning. The lioness has a plan.

She prowls on silent, soft paws. She is hunting! The prey will not escape this time! This time, she will catch it.

She continues through winding corridors and stairs. Past paintings, armor, and tapestries. Her heart pounds with the thrill of the hunt. Her body is agile and strong, ready for attack! Ready to sink her claws into the prey, sink her teeth into it, tear it to pieces! Feel the heat of its blood in her mouth...

She arrives at the prey's lair. Soon the prey will appear; it must make its way to the watering hole, hungry and thirsty after the long night...

The lioness sits down and waits. A hunter's patience is infinite. A predator can wait for its prey for hours. Her heart pounds in her chest. The clock ticks. Time passes. She waits in suspense.

Suddenly, the lioness hears, with her sharp hearing, a sound from inside the lair. Her pulse quickens. Adrenaline rushes through her body. The tension rises. The door opens, and the prey appears.

The lioness is already on her feet again; now it's time!

"Miss Stirling! What are you doing here?" asks Lupin, surprised.

Evelyn doesn't have time to answer. Suddenly, Peeves swoops over them and pours a whole bucket of snow-mixed ice water over Lupin. He cackles like a madman.

"Merry Christmas, little elves!" he shouts gleefully.

Evelyn stares in shock.

"PEEVES!!!" Lupin roars. But Peeves just chuckles merrily. He pulls something out of his pocket and holds it above them.

Both automatically shield their heads with their hands, but it's only a mistletoe.

Evelyn and Lupin stare at the mistletoe and then at each other.

"Come on now! Don't you know what a mistletoe means??? Those standing under a mistletoe have to kiss each other! KISS EACH OTHER!!!" Peeves laughs.

Lupin meets Evelyn's gaze. Evelyn's heart skips a beat. The air vibrates between them. Then Lupin suddenly breaks eye contact with her and pulls out his wand.

"PEEVES, YOU SCOUNDREL! GET OUT OF HERE BEFORE I TURN YOU INTO MUSH!!!" he roars, sparks flying from the tip of his wand. Peeves shrieks and flies away. His cackling laughter can still be heard as he disappears down the corridor.

Evelyn is utterly speechless. Lupin stands with clenched fists, turned away from her. He is dripping wet, and a large puddle forms at his feet.

"Professor..." Evelyn says cautiously. Lupin finally turns to her, but he doesn't meet her gaze.

"Go. Leave, Miss Stirling," he says quietly, opens the door to his chamber again, walks in, and slams the door behind him.

Evelyn stands, completely shocked. What had just happened? A bang makes her jump. Peeves is back and throws exploding crackers at her. She starts running.

"Merry Christmas, little shrimp! Hope you have a woooonderful holiday!" Evelyn runs through the corridors, her heart pounding hard in her chest while Peeves laughs loudly behind her. Exploding crackers bounce off the walls, and the sound echoes through the empty, snow-covered corridors. It feels like the whole castle is in an uproar, even though all the other students are home celebrating Christmas.

She rounds a corner and leans against the wall, breathing heavily. The adrenaline is still pumping through her veins. Lupin. The mistletoe. What had almost happened. Her cheeks burn as she thinks about the moment their eyes met under the mistletoe. What was wrong with him? Why had he reacted so strongly?